iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you slab?

Started by Larry, December 16, 2019, 09:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

This is how I slab maximum size logs on my mill.  I'm hoping to get suggestions on how I can improve.

I usually slab logs that have big bumps or limbs sticking out making them hard to turn on the mill.  I try to get the log in the right position than sit it on the mill with the forklift.  Than I make small adjustments with the turner, clamp, and toeboards.

I always load with the big end towards the carriage.  Makes it easier to figure out where to trim.  No blade on the mill so I can see if the carriage can move down the log without binding.

I trim with a chainsaw with the log on the mill so I can get the maximum width.  This one was about 40" wide and my mill can swallow 32".

Log is now trimmed on both sides.

I now slab as deep as possible which is right above the log stops.  I'm sawing 10/4 on this log.

The biggest slab in this log weighs close to 400 pounds so I raise the log until the slabs slide off onto the loader arms.  Than I pick them off the arms with the forklift.  I tried dragging them back which worked ok, but it is easier picking them off the loader arms with the forklift.

Before I remove even the first slab I number the ends.  This way if I want to book match there is no guessing.

Next step is to flip the remainder and saw to the bed.  I always have trouble flipping the log at this point.  I usually stand it up and rest it against the log stops.  Than I pry to get it to slide down on the bed.

All done.

I think it funny that it often takes twice as long to position and trim the log as the actual sawing.  If I get the log positioned right, the sawing is really simple.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

barbender

What kind of wood is that, a type of elm?
Too many irons in the fire

shtickhead

From your picture it looks like you must have been standing on the log, cutting on your left side, with the tip of the chain close to the bunk??

To answer your question not like that;)

YellowHammer

Hey, I like the mirror.  Good idea.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 17, 2019, 05:01:13 AM
Hey, I like the mirror.  Good idea.  
I thought it was a heat lamp, also a good idea. But what does the mirror show you that you don't see from your operators POV?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Larry

Its sweet gum.

Most of the time I can trim the log sides standing on the ground.  If hard to reach I can stand on the cat track on the backside or put a plank on the loader arms on the front side to stand on.  Actually I saw with chainsaw tip elevated slightly so I don't hit a bunk.

Because of the dragback I stand at the console on the loader side of the mill.  I can't easily see the log stops so I added the mirror years ago.  I can also keep an eye on sawdust coming out the chute and other small details.  I would hate to saw without my dragback and mirror.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

moodnacreek

A lot depends on the cracks and where big cracks are expected in drying.

Stephen1

I like to saw off the parts that are too wide into 5/4 . I try to position it on the top and then saw them down to 32". I also will cookie @ 5/4 the stubs, turning th log to get a few cookies,  they sell great to the crafters, 20-30$ a pop. 
I like the idea of numbering  the slabs before you even saw them. I think I will copy that.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

With those monster logs I like to position them so that I can saw two live edge down to ~26".

I can then turn them 90° and saw through making one live edge bookmatched slabs that could make some awesome tables.  There are lotsa different ways to capture what is inside of logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DPatton

Larry,

I just noticed something important that your mill appears to be missing.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Larry

Yes, there are several things missing on my mill and quite a few added things.

What did you notice?

DPatton

I noticed you are missing your Forestry Forum sticker on the front of the belt cover!  :D :D :D

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Old Greenhorn

I don't have one of those on my mill either. Maybe that explains some of the bad ju-ju I experience from time to time. I have no idea how to fix that problem either. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!