iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by egel, February 06, 2007, 08:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egel

I have a Corly circle saw and was going  to saw some sycamore to build a storage shed next summer. I came across this forum and thought it would be a new experience to try timber framing.  Can I use the sycamore for the beams or do I need to use oak?  Can I cut the beams now or do I need to wait until this summer?  I ordered two books Monday.  One was all about post and beam building, but have not received it yet.  Any and all help will be appreciated.

Egel

Dave Shepard

Welcome egel! I am not sure about the sycamore, I haven't seen it used for framing around here. I am sure someone can answer that for you. You don't want the timbers to dry out, twist or check, so typically you would try to cut the joinery as soon as possible. Green wood is also easier to work. If you hang out around here we'll have you hooked on framing. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Stumpkin

Hey Egel, I know where Shipman is , I'm in Grafton/ Rosedale area behind Pere Marquette Park. It's a small world. I have used sycamore a little, watch out for shake, especially in the bigger trees. There are lots of local hardwoods you can use that are better. I have 17 different species in my shop frame including sycamore.  I have been timberframing for about 13 years. If you get over this way, stop in for a visit. PM me for diirections & phone number.  Tom Cundiff

"Do we know what we're doing and why?"
"No"
"Do we care?"
"We'll work it all out as we go along. Let our practice form our doctrine, thus assuring precise theoretical coherence."      Ed Abbey

Don P

Welcome egel  :)

You are not our only Corley sawyer. You might want to introduce yourself on the sawmills and milling board as well.

Corley5

Welcome  8)  What model Corley do you have ???  I've got a #5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!