Started by 4woody, October 22, 2006, 07:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4woody

looking for some one to make Da saw carreg for Dis Yooper

beenthere

Uh....what?? ::) ???

What's a porcut mill?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodbowl

We need just a tad more info 4woody. What kind of carraige? Circle or band? I don't know what a porcut mill is, but I bet there's plenty of folks here on the form willing to help you make a goodcut mill.  ;)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Furby

This is what he is talking about I belive:
Link

4woody

Hi thanks it is a chainsaw mill like a band mill

4woody

PawNature

GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

4woody

PawNature

No I didn't but it shouldn't be hard to do if you got the plans.

4woody

oh i see you like snakes i have 58'' in frig  with 17 ratels not to good at speeling

JPM

woody i have one but the shipping to ga is more than its worth .If you can't do the welding a machine/welding shop should
be able to

rebocardo

Pawnature is using the one I sold him, which I bought off someone else, who made it himself. I was going to make myself another one, but, I decided to sell my 3120 and do something else. Mainly because in Dekalb you need a permit to use one, at each job site(!), which I did not know!

Plus, I found my house is not wired properly (yet) for use of a 230 welder and I do not have the time or money to pull the permits and do the job since it requires me ripping my walls, service panel, and garage apart. So, if you want to grab the 3120 before it sells on E-Bay let me know.

I live around Decatur (ex 40 off I-285) and could weld something up for you with my 120V welder. Basically, I would tack weld everything together and then hire a real welder to come over with a portable arc welder and give the 1/4 tubing real welds on the trailer frame.

I would suggest if you build it to make the saw carriage out of aluminum because the steel one gets pretty heavy when taking it off the truck yourself.

Others improvement I would do is make add better log dogs, add an electric winch, make it wider so it is stable with bigger logs, make the carriage wider so you can do true 36" slabs, and do some improvement to the log ramps.

If you live close enough to me, I would not mind helping you build it as long as you paid for my gas and supplies.

I would guess at todays $1 a pound for steel, the project would cost about $1000-$1200 in materials. Personally, I would seek used material.

The place to start is buy the directions from ProCut, last time I checked it was $120. Then use the shopping list to get material quotes. I use Dekalb Steel in Tucker off Rt29 for all my new steel purchases. There is a guy in the Atlanta Advertiser (Jerry) that sells used steel too.

4woody

THANK YOU REBOCARDO I HAVE 20 FT TRAILER AREADY

rebocardo

If your (utility?) trailer has a 3/16 or 1/4 frame made of C channel (angle will not hack it)  do you want to convert it to a Procut trailer? That would be pretty easy and not require pro welding.

4woody

IT IS 8" I BEAM FROM A MOBIL HOME AN TO AXCELS

4woody

I HAVE MADE A LOT OF LADER RACKS I USE 1&1\4 BY 1\8 TUBEING I WAS THINKING THAT MIGHT WROK FOR THE SAW CARIG AN AN ON THE TAILER SOME 3" ANGEL 1\4

4woody

Oh I GOT SOME PRICES TO ON THE STEAL SO FAR 170$

rebocardo

I think my saw carriage was 1/8 wall 1x1" and the tracks were 2x2" 1/4 angle.

1/4" x 8 C channel frame is great. That will hold a huge log. What I would do is lay the tracks out, but, leave the floor open so the sawdust falls through to the ground under the saw carriage.

What I would do is remove the flooring where the tracks go and the space between them, so the tracks sit below the floor level. Even if you have to redeck the trailer to slightly thicker wood. That way you can easily roll a log into the center of the tracks and then block it. You can then have flip up metal log dogs to hold the log while sawing. I would add at least six outriggers to hold the trailer in place.

4woody

thank you i will check on that soon Rebocardo

4woody

Can anyone tell me wear to get the rollers for the saw caregi to roll on the angal iron track

PawNature

aniakhenry

4 woody

Are you also looking for any of the parts to the carriage?  I just upgraded to a band mill and would sell all the parts that raise and lower the carriage.  All thread, Chains, Sprockets, Pillow Block Bearings ETC.

Good luck,

aniakhenry

4woody

rebocardo

Graingers. There are a few in GA I believe.

4woody

Thank You Sponsors!