iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

.Chainsaw stumbles, quits

Started by metalman1, February 04, 2023, 02:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

metalman1

Wow, I didnt know, theres one place near my work. Have to check it out, as I am very skeptical about this ethanol free gas stations. Too good to be true.......Thanks, LSX. 

Anyway, gonna try out my saw again today, clean gas tank, attached exhaust/muffler.

DHansen

examples of ethanol damage to plastic, brass, screen and pot metal.

metalman1

Update: Wow, just when I thought it will be impossible for me to get this old cheap saw running again, I got it started, and running!!! Yahoooo!

What I did: I had time to kill, so I figured let me remove the carb, and clean it all out. Blasted it with carb cleaner (with safety goggles). I also has a box of spare carb parts, some new, and replaced at least one of these thingies:

Amazon.com : CTS Carburetor Repair/Rebuild Kit Replaces ZAMA RB-100 for Stihl HS45 FS55 FS38 BG45 MM55 Tiller 4137 EMU Trimmer : Patio, Lawn & Garden

The upper right hand corner of the image on Amazon, thin plasticky gizmo. Not even sure if my old one was bad, but I popped the new one in. I did not have a new diaphragm, so left in the old one. Then put the carb back together after cleaning (some gunk did come out). Pulled the starter cord a bunch of times, and it started. responded well to throttle too. Then , proceeded to cut my unfinished log.  Cuts great, with plenty of power, and did NOT stall!!!!

I was ready to dump the saw. But after 25 years, the cheap old saw , which is the source of jokes, and shaming, is still running, and cuts great. Im sure not great enough for some pros here, but Im just a DIY guy.

Anyway, wanted to let everyone here know what happened, and could not have happened without all your support, and prompt replies/advice. Thanks, people. You guys are just great!

Guydreads

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if that "thingy" (love your description :D :D) was the actual cause. That thingy, called a metering diaphragm, controls how much fuel gets to the motor. The way it works is this: fuel fills the entire compartment where that diaphragm sits, and the motor sucks that fuel to the venturi, where the fuel is sucked into the motor. As the motor sucks this fuel in, a vacuum is created in the compartment where this diaphragm sits, causing the diaphragm to fold inwards toward the lever sticking up beneath it, called the metering lever. This lever regulates how much fuel is going into the compartment. If the diaphragm doesn't function properly, it won't actuate the metering lever, causing a leaner air-fuel mixture (more ppm of air) because it's not opening the needle (the needle transfers fuel from the pump side, where fuel enters the carburetor, to the metering side), which is attached to the metering lever, causing the saw to bog because it's trying to run on air. I know I nerded out a lot here.... Yikes.

metalman1

Quote from: Guydreads on March 07, 2023, 06:30:12 AM
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if that "thingy" (love your description :D :D) was the actual cause. That thingy, called a metering diaphragm, controls how much fuel gets to the motor. The way it works is this: fuel fills the entire compartment where that diaphragm sits, and the motor sucks that fuel to the venturi, where the fuel is sucked into the motor. As the motor sucks this fuel in, a vacuum is created in the compartment where this diaphragm sits, causing the diaphragm to fold inwards toward the lever sticking up beneath it, called the metering lever. This lever regulates how much fuel is going into the compartment. If the diaphragm doesn't function properly, it won't actuate the metering lever, causing a leaner air-fuel mixture (more ppm of air) because it's not opening the needle (the needle transfers fuel from the pump side, where fuel enters the carburetor, to the metering side), which is attached to the metering lever, causing the saw to bog because it's trying to run on air. I know I nerded out a lot here.... Yikes.
Yikes is right! Too complicated, Guy. Good to know all this. By the way, I called it a plasticky gizmo, not a "thingy",. Get your terms correct! (humor attempt...)

Guydreads

Haha, I'll try to remember that  :D :D

metalman1

Quote from: metalman1 on March 05, 2023, 09:20:47 AM
Wow, I didnt know, theres one place near my work. Have to check it out, as I am very skeptical about this ethanol free gas stations. Too good to be true.......Thanks, LSX.

Wanted to follow up, for what it is worth, I went to that gas station and as I suspected no ethanol free gas at that site. So, that list provided is not accurate. I am not sure why they would compile such a list with bogus info. And this gas station is not that old, just built not long ago so it's not like it could have had that gas years ago. 

lxskllr

That's too bad. They do say to call first if it's any real drive, cause mistakes happen. The data is user generated, and it could have been a mistake, or the data was obsolete. You should leave a comment on the site noting what you found.

Thank You Sponsors!