iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walbro WT 17 B Carb and Husqvarna 40

Started by JD Guy, February 11, 2023, 05:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Guy

I think I have diagnosed my no fuel problem to the carb on my 1985ish Husquvarna 40. Google hasn't found any, or a substitute. I'm not opposed to buying a carb kit and rebuilding it but no joy there either. I have other saws to use but like to grab this old gal for small quick jobs. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

sawguy21

Are you looking for a replacement carburetor? Why not refresh the current one??
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

donbj

Discount Marine has a kit for that. Google Walbro WT 17 B Carb kit and you'll find it in dicarbparts. Can't put the link to it here.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

JD Guy

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 11, 2023, 06:18:55 PM
Are you looking for a replacement carburetor? Why not refresh the current one??
No joy on finding a kit either...so far.

JD Guy

Quote from: donbj on February 11, 2023, 08:37:31 PM
Discount Marine has a kit for that. Google Walbro WT 17 B Carb kit and you'll find it in dicarbparts. Can't put the link to it here.
Thanks! Can I find them with a google search? Also saw your reply on other site.  smiley_wavy

donbj

Yes google search. dicarbparts
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

5ubtle

Walbro rebuild kit K10-WAT says that it works for most WA and WT series carbs.  I use it for a WT324 and it comes with lots of extra parts that I don't need.

Carefully compare your parts to the pictures.

JD Guy

Quote from: donbj on February 11, 2023, 08:37:31 PM
Thanks, finally got back to this project and did in fact order the kit from dicarbparts. Hopefully get the old gal running well again  :)

DHansen

Looking forward to your post that the 40 is up and cutting again.  Best of luck on the carburetor rebuild.  I have an old 45 that I gave to my future son in law.  It is a great saw and easy to maintain.

JD Guy

OK, So carb kit came in and got carb out fine. Fuel line is toast so went to local shop and the new fuel line (black) recommended by them will not go back in the hole to fuel tank. Tried making a "long point", used some oil, nothing works for me. Should I try a different fuel line? I have changed fuel lines in my Stihl saws and wasn't a problem. Any tricks or hints would be welcome.
Thanks!

Hilltop366

I find soap works better than oil.

JD Guy

OK, I did get enough into the tank by making a looong thin strip and was able to grab it with some needle nose pliers and pull it into the tank. Sure didn't think the hose would hold up to that much tension but it did work! The Stihl saws seem much easier to me.

DHansen

So is the Husqvarna 40 up and running again?

JD Guy

Quote from: DHansen on April 04, 2023, 06:43:10 PM
So is the Husqvarna 40 up and running again?
Howdy, Thanks for asking! No, unfortunately not  :). The carb kit came in great and the carb is rehabilitated but troubles with the throttle cable end breaking off on reassembly have me on hold. I have another throttle cable coming so that's good. The way that cable (really just a sheathed fine wire) attaches to the carb is a joke and you have to be a contortionist to hook it back up. I sure wish that I could get a picture of exactly how the cable is attached on the carb but alas no amount of searching has turned up anything. I should have taken a picture before I took it off but unfortunately did not. (Lesson learned) If anyone here can help me out I would be extremely grateful  8)

DHansen

Does the throttle cable run from the trigger back to the rear of the handle, then through the bottom pad of the handle to the main body.  Then comes up from the bottom of the saw to the right-hand side of the carburetor?  

DHansen

pencil is pointing to were cable passes through the air filter housing support. 

DHansen

pencil pointing to carburetor end at the throttle arm on right hand side of carburetor.  Not an easy to assemble cable. Lots to line up.  Keep carburetor free from engine until the cable is routed and in the plastic slot on air cleaner housing.  Then line up base gasket and two carb mounting bolts.  then the last base screw for the air filter support.   I bet Spike60 has tricks for doing this one. 

DHansen

The cable passes through the metal arm that the idle speed adjustment screw is through.  So, cable is between the carb body and the metal arm.  The sleeve or cover on the cable has to go on the bottom of the plastic air cleaner housing that was only the cable is above the plastic and behind the metal arm.  I hope this helps and is the same design as yours.

DHansen

JD Guy

@DHansen I am so thankful for those pictures, you have no idea! I have received the cable this morning so "fingers crossed" the old 40 will be cutting once again! It does seem odd that the cable rides up and over the front of the carb though, seems like it would be a serious wear point on the cable. Or maybe I am looking at it wrong. I'm going out in a bit and will see if I can master this :D

DHansen

The cable does not go over the top of carburetor.

DHansen

If you need better photo or different angle let me know.  Cable comes up from bottom of saw.  Through plastic air filter housing (slot in plastic) behind idle screw arm and connects to carb.

JD Guy

OK, after looking more closely at the picture I see what looks to be a screw driver shank under the cable. Now it all makes sense to me. I'm very grateful for your help and patience. If I were closer dinner and drink's would be on me!

DHansen

I used screwdriver to hold carb at angle for photo.

JD Guy

Yep, exactly the picture and angle that I needed. Thank You!! I will report on the outcome  :)

Thank You Sponsors!