iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain teeth damaged on sprocket side, salvageable?

Started by bmwAirHead, February 15, 2023, 06:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmwAirHead

I've done a fair amount of work with chainsaws and have never seen this happen. Chain came off during side cut and I was having difficulty getting it back on when I noticed damage to sprocket teeth on chain. Several chewed up to some degree, two in particular, badly. Possible to clean these up with a file and still use chain? It's bran new. 

thecfarm

I have done that many times. Put the file to it and let it rip!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Colonel428

I had damaged the teeth on a chain as well when it came off like yours did.  A file will work but a dremel tool is even better to remove the burrs and dings.  

donbj

Yup file the burrs off so it sits in the bar and you're good. Might have a few teeth to clean up too😄
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Grandpa

I would say no. The drivers are damaged too bad. Three in a row are damaged with the ends gone and that is about all that are in the drive sprocket at any one time.

lxskllr

I'd say try it and see. My concerns are with Grandpa's due to having a few consecutive drivers severely damaged. I've tidied up one or two, and it worked fine, but not that many in a row.

hedgerow

I would grab the cordless four inch grinder and touch the drivers up and put it back on. Normally it doesn't damage them that badly when the chain comes off. Since its a new chain I would give it a try. If it was a older chain I would toss it.   

Wlmedley

I've had this happen a time or two.I took mine to a saw shop and they can replace damaged section.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Al_Smith

If it were mine I'd hang it on a nail and use it for repairs .Some you can save but that one you can't because in that shape all it will do is ruin the rim or sprocket . 

Iwawoodwork

I have had lots of chains come off , especially when cutting brush and berry vines. Take it off, then I would clean it up ( taking  the burrs off the edges of the drivers) with my 41/2" grinder with a thin cutoff blade then try running it, if I felt it jump, I would take the chain off and punch out the three links and replace with good ones and put it back to work.

John Mc

Minor burrs on the drivers I would clean up and use again. You have several in a row that are badly damaged enough that I would be concerned to run them. It MIGHT be something I would try if the bd ones were widely interspersed among good drivers so I knew some would have a good grip on the drive sprocket. as it is, I'd be inclined not to use it (or maybe use it for parts, if I were spinning my own chain).

It's probably worth taking a look at your drive sprocket to see what condition it is in. It may be time to replace it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

esteadle

If you put scuffed up drive links into your bar groove, you are going to end up with a scuffed up bar groove.
Filing the drive links will help, but there will be wear inside the bar groove over time. Chains are cheap compared to bars. If you can file a bar groove square again, then great. If you can afford new bars regularly, then great. If you don't like to file bars, and don't like to buy new bars, then I would suggest to stop using this chain. Use it for parts on the next chain?

Best of luck,
Eric

David B

Put it on loose, rev it, tighten, done. 

But not sure about those drivers missing the tips...
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

Thank You Sponsors!