iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why is my Husky 359 freezing up ?

Started by woodroe, March 28, 2023, 04:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodroe

Put a new bar sprocket tip on it and have grease in both the tip and
needle bearing . Crank bearings maybe ? I had the needle bearings out to look them
over and they looked normal not burnt. Chain isn't too tight and oils properly .
I could take it to the shop but thought I would ask the experts here 1st.
Probably 15+ yrs old . It starts and runs good but after cutting wide open going to idle is when
it freezes. Doesn't always do it but enough so its a problem.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

woodroe

g_man

woodroe

Quote from: g_man on March 28, 2023, 07:25:13 PM
And how do you free it up ??

gg
Usually can free it by dragging the chain back and forth on the log .

thecfarm

Sounds like sawdust getting into the bar grove??
Not a good thing to do, but try to run the chain on the loose side.
Will it do it then?
Another thought, when it freezes up, try to pick the chain off the bar. If the chain is loose, it should come out of the grove easy. Try to pick it up every where on the bar.
Almost sounds like a bar and chain problem.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Happens to me when bucking up white ash. Just "sticky" enough to plug up in the bar groove. Drag the chain across a log and it frees up. 
Also, lift out of the cut a bit and that will clear out the groove. Similar to ash causing build-up on the band saw blade. Might be the same thing. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DHansen

Did it ever do this prior to you putting on the new bar tip sprocket?  Same pitch as drive sprocket? 

woodroe

Yeah it was locking up before the new sprocket tip.
Could be something to the sawdust buildup as beenthere and Ray mentioned.
But my other husky 450 doesn't do that.
The red oak seems to cause more of the locking up trouble than other species.
I'm bucking up some big red oak for hire right now, 2' dia at the butt.
So it takes a minute running wide open to get through it. Might have to adjust my technique a little. I'll check out what ray mentioned next time it happens to.
the 59 does have a wider kerf than the 450. Appreciate the feedback, not going to the shop just yet.

Fishnuts2

Wondering if turning up the oiler output would help some?  Also, keep the chain as sharp as possible to avoid as much "dust" as you can.  

Jk372

I had a jonsered 2156 20" bar with the oiler maxed it would stick the chain every time in big dry wood. Little throttle blip coming out of the cut usually kept it free

woodroe

Yeah that rev up coming out of the cut usually works to clean it out if 
you remember to do it . Funny part is I don't remember this going on when it was newer.
But I am getting forgetful with age . Thanks for all the tips guys. 

woodroe

Quote from: DHansen on March 28, 2023, 09:37:41 PM
Did it ever do this prior to you putting on the new bar tip sprocket?  Same pitch as drive sprocket?
The Husky shop put that on so I would expect so. Pretty decent shop here IMO.

barbender

Snow will do the same thing, pack the bar and clutch and lock up the works.
Too many irons in the fire

Big_eddy

Or cutting in cold weather with snow. Cut for a while until the bar is warm, then put the saw down. Restart a short while later and the melted snow has frozen the chain on solid. Happens all too often to me. 

Thank You Sponsors!