iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have any idea what the name of this saw is?

Started by staggerweed, March 20, 2010, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

staggerweed

Hope someone can tell me something about this saw.  It runs great.  I have a video of it if anyone is interested.  Don't want to even try to put it on here though.  Will post a link to youtube, if requested.  Doesn't have a chain brake, so I assume it is pretty old. 

Wow, it is hard to post photos on here!  It has taken me about 45 minutes to figure this out. 

HolmenTree

A pre 1970 Husqvarna , I saw the picture of this model in my chainsaw history book a while back , only trouble is  I loaned the book to my brother this afternoon. :(
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Dave Shepard

staggerweed, have you tried the Java uploader? I use it all the time now. Gets the image the right size and shape every time. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

forest.c

forest.c

sablatnic

staggerweed

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 20, 2010, 11:44:27 PM
staggerweed, have you tried the Java uploader? I use it all the time now. Gets the image the right size and shape every time. :)

Thanks...that is what I used.  My photos must have been too big b/c I had to go back and edit them to get it to take them.  Just time consuming.  And, I deleted another photo by mistake that I had on another post on here.  I will be careful not to do that again. 

staggerweed

Quote from: sablatnic on March 21, 2010, 04:45:11 AM
Could be a Husqvarna A65.

Thanks.  By using this info I was able to search the internet and found out that it is a Husky L65.  I still don't know the specs, but it is a pre 1970's saw.  I am wondering if it is worth anything to collectors as a vintage saw.  We couldn't believe it fired right up. 

We got quite a few saws and parts from a friend who passed away, and we have no idea how long they had been sitting in his basement.  Have to go back and get the rest of the stuff this week.  There were even extra parts/plastic for this old Husky and a Stihl 038 without either side cover that fired right up too.  Going to get the covers and maybe use it.  Out of the 5 Stihl's we got yesterday, everyone ran except one, and it just needs a throttle cable.  You might say we are gonna be in "chainsaw heaven" for a few days.

Rocky_J

staggerweed

Quote from: Rocky_J on March 21, 2010, 11:52:25 AM
Here's Mike Acre's spec page on the A65. His site may be helpful to you with the other saws as well.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/5314b4a45994ee3988256b520016537e?OpenDocument

Thanks Rocky.  That site also had the specs (and photo) for the L65, introduced in 1974, with the A65 being introduced in 1968. 

HolmenTree

:D No its a A77, The A65's sparkplug boot doesn't stick out of the top cover like the A77 does.
Willard.

JohnG28

If you decide not to use that 038 I might be interested in taking it off you hands.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

peppone

it's an husqvarna L65 approximatly around 1974.
you're invited to visit my forum all about chainsaws:
http://lamotosega.forumattivo.com/forum.htm
saluti
peppone

staggerweed

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 21, 2010, 12:59:48 PM
:D No its a A77, The A65's sparkplug boot doesn't stick out of the top cover like the A77 does.
Willard.

I would say that you are right.  I asked on the collector's forum and was told that it is a 77 with a 65 cover on it. 

peppone

you're invited to visit my forum all about chainsaws:
http://lamotosega.forumattivo.com/forum.htm
saluti
peppone

staggerweed

Now, to figure out if it is the A77 or the L77.  I can't see much difference from the photos I found on the site that Rocky recommended. 

HolmenTree

Staggerweed what throws me off with your saw is your top cover has a much larger open area around the cylinder fins, maybe cut out? The A-L 77 has a small square hole.
If your in North America I think you have the newer  L77. Even though Husqvarna entered the NA market in 1966 [Tacoma Wash] They didn't get a major distributer [New Jersey in USA, Montreal and Hinton AB in Canada] until 1971.
Lots of A77 in Europe.
Theres a good video on You Tube "Vintage Husqvarna L77 " shows the whole saw  for over a minute.
Willard.

Dave Shepard

Back to the photos, because I don't know anything about the saw. :D I use the Java uploader, and my photos are usually around 4 mb each, and they are 3872x2592 pixels. I know if you go through the gallery directly, you will have to edit beforehand. I wonder why it's fighting you. smiley_headscratch
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Rocky_J

Dave, adjust the settings on your camera. There is absolutely no reason to have pictures of 4mb each unless you are blowing them up to poster size and framing them.  ;D

Dave Shepard

I can put put hundreds of 4 mb photos on one card. I want the resolution so I can zoom in to get the detail. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!