iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tuesday Milling

Started by Paschale, January 12, 2005, 02:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Well, we've got a Saturday Sawing thread...so where are you going to put milling that you did on a Tuesday, unless a new thread is started?   ;)

Furby and I have been meaning to get together for awhile and make some sawdust on his mill, and Tuesday became the day.  We had a good ole time cutting up some logs.  He's set up a slick log deck which made rolling the logs onto the mill pretty simple.  We only had a couple of hours, but we made some decent lumber and had some fun.

Oh, and btw...I saw Furby's renovation up close--it looks great.  And as to his comments about it "not being big enough," well, take that with a grain of salt, because his addition is HUGE!   8)

Thanks Furby...we'll definitely have to do it again.  It made me even more anxious for spring, when I hope to have my mill up and running.   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Tom

It's a lot of fun to share the day with someone with the same interests.  Sawing can bring out the best and Tuesday needs a thread too. :D   Maybe somebody has some pictures. ;D

Furby

Yeah Tom, someone does have pics. ;D
Just took a little while. ::)

This one is of Paschale working on what turned out to be a real nice maple. He had to leave before he finished it though, and I got to cut the really good stuff out of it. ;D

This pic shows the log deck that I threw together. It works a lot better then I though, and I'm thinking I'll build a better one.

This pic is of a real odd maple. We were rolling it onto the mill and I stopped and (me of all people  ::) ) almost tossed it aside because it was such a small, ugly top log. Don't know what to do with these flitches yet, but they are kinda cool.

Paschale,
You are more then welcome to stop by any time. As you know, I have more then a few logs to get milled before spring.  ;D

WV_hillbilly

Looks like you two enjoyed some sawing . It is alot of fun going to someones mil and making some boards . But you will find out Paschale it even better when  your using your own mill.  I try to go visit and see other peoples setups cause you always learn something  and make new friends .
Hillbilly

EZ

So Paschale, hows the mill doing anyway.

Furby, I had a temp. log deck out here myself and it was really great to roll the logs right on the mill. I have some 4 inch square tubing that I'm going to use to make one that will last. Coarse thats when I find the time to build it.
Thanks for the pictures.

Still want to come down to see your mill, Dan, when I find the time. ;D When I do have a little time on hand I've been working on this edger. The figuring is what takes alot of time.
EZ

Norm

Tuesday sawing sounds good to me, looks like you guys had fun. I was stuck inside yesterday so any pictures of folks getting out look great, thanks. :)

Paschale

Well, my mill is on hold until spring.  As much as I love making sawdust, I absolutely hate working on machinery in the middle of winter.   ::)  I've had to work on cars enough in the snow to know that for me, trying to get some machinery up and running in the winter is only something I'll do out of necessity.  So the mill's going to get my attention as soon as the weather turns in a couple of months.  Hopefully, I'll be posting pics in late spring of my mill in operation!   8) In the meantime, I'll bug Furby to get my sawdust fix.   ;)

OneWithWood

QuoteI absolutely hate working on machinery in the middle of winter.   ::)  

So you have attached a piece of frozen metal to your hand too :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Minnesota_boy

Furby,
Before you put another log on that deck, change the orientation of the concrete blocks.  Make the holes have the openings at the top instead of the sides.  The way you have them, the blocks can crush and drop a log or a load of logs.  Better yet, replace them with wood blocks.  Creosote treated blocks will last for many years.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Paschale

Argh...the feel of icy cold metal on frozen, greasy, oily hands is one of the worst feelings in the world! ::)  And then there's the snow that inevitably gets down your pants when you're rolling around under a car, and no matter how warm you dress, you always seem to get cold, wet feet cuz you're just sitting around not moving at all.  Don't forget the runny nose, and blowing the snot onto the ground  :D, and you can't forget windblown, chapped and cracked hands...if I can avoid it, I do!   ;)

Furby

Minn. boy,
I agree with you 100%, but............and I thought long and hard about this.............with the blocks the other way, they sink waaaaay too fast. This season has been real bad for mud around here, and it will only get worse as spring approaches.
There is a piece of wood spanning the back blocks where I load at. I have not dropped one on yet, but I'm sure it will happen. I make real sure no one is around when loading or moving the logs to the deck.

Good thing I didn't post a pic of how I'm moving the logs to the deck, I'b be buried in saftey concern posts. ;D Right Paschale? ;)

I REALLY hate working on any machinery in the cold! Any warmth your hands had, are gone within seconds of touching the cold metal. We all know that no matter how hard you try, trying to get a bolt or screw into place with a warm pair of gloves on is down right hard to do!!!

Hey EZ,
What did ya use to span the gap between the mill and deck?
The section of my deck nearest the mill, is a couple of guard rail posts. A 2x4 works perfect to span the gap. Just a bit of a pain to put into place and remove each time, the 2x4 also kicks up when the log gets onto the mill. ::)

EZ

I had 3 inch tubing that slid inside 4 inch tubing. The 4 inch was U bolted to the log deck, when I wanted them out to roll a log on I pulled them out with the cant hook and push them back in with it. Pretty simple but work good.
EZ

Minnesota_boy

Furby,
Cut yourselff a nice plank, cut it into proper lengths and put it under those blocks.  The blocks can collapse at any time without warning.  You might be under one of the logs when it happens.

Fla._Deadheader

Got a little story about them blocks. I know a feller that used to get into the ocean and hunt Spanish Treasure. He would jack up large sections of the bedrock ledges, with a hydraulic jack, and then put cement blocks, holes sideways,  under the ledges to hold 'em up. He would then crawl way back, maybe 10-15 feet under them ledges and detect for stuff. One day he came back to the spot he was working the day before. YUP, all them blocks was crushed.  ::) ::) ::)  He don't do it that way, anymore. Turnin them blocks OR cuttin wood blocking is the best thing to do. Take it from me, moving away quickly doesn't always happen, especially with all them Fuzzy clothes Y'all gotta wear up there in Snow land. ;D ;D

THAT'S why we wear them fashion statement shorts and Tennys down here, fast getaways.  ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Listen to'em Furby, for they speak the truth!  Snow Snakes like to hang around that sort of thing, too, just to make sure you can't get out of the way.

I don't know how many times I've caught somebody working under a car, sitting on blocks turned that way. :o  That just scare's the bejeebers out of me!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

OneWithWood

Furby, the concern expressed is real, cause we like ya!

The reason many of us older gents are still around is because somewhere along the line someone gave us some well meaning advice - and we listened.  Be safe and contimue to have fun!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Paschale

Hmm...well that's DanG good advice about them cinder blocks.  I wouldn't have thought of that.  Furby...I think next time we do some Tuesday milling, we should turn those suckers around first.   ;)  It'd put a damper on Tuesday Milling if there was a logjam in your backyard with one of us Grand Rapidians on the bottom!   :o  Plus, just think what it'd do to the forum:  this place needs all the class that two G R natives can bring to the establishment!   :D

Fla._Deadheader

::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Sounds to me like you're tootin' yer own horn, Paschale. ::)

:D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paschale

Sounds like you're hearing it loud and clear, DanG, all the way down south!   ;)

Tom

Well!  .......double DanG!!

I drew this a long time ago  
so that I could toot my own horn and forget to use it. :-/

Y'all can use it if you like. :D

Furby

Ok, Ok, if it will keep ya all happy, I'll give up a few planks! ;)
Gonna have ta wait for a warm up though, them blocks are iced in! Don't really plan to do any milling before a warm up anyways. ;D Had to KICK the house door in today! Was froze shut, even though I had it open when I left a few hours before.  :o

Just a note on those blocks, that's what some of the old timers around here call a "poor man's foundation". The bottom course of a wall would be turned so the flat part was down, then blocks laid like normal.  ::)

Ya all would a LOVED my log forks!!! ;D

UNCLEBUCK

My cousin likes to take flitches that have dried and warped a bit in the sun and woodburns in the lords prayer in like gothic style writing and then puts some kind of polymer on it and anchors a lightweight chain that has been dippied in acid to instantly age it .Then you hang that flitch on the wall anywhere and it looks fantastic . He isnt a religious man but he says the lords prayer flitches sell better . I think I will have him do me one to hang on the saw shed . Or those flitches you have in your pictures could sure seat alot of trombone players .  ;D  Looks very nice and you guys have neighbors wow ! Must really draw a crowd , I know it would draw me over to see you guys sawing . Keep it up !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Paschale

QuoteOr those flitches you have in your pictures could sure seat alot of trombone players .  ;D  

Well, now there's a DanG good idea!   8)  How about 76 of 'em?   ;)

;)

Furby

DanG it! We may have ta cut a few more if ya need seating for 76!
Gonna see what this storm does first, but I may have a few more of them ready on Wed. ;)

Kirk_Allen

Today was a great day for Sawing 8) 8)

Got about 350 BF of Red Oak 6/4 cut and stacked this afternoon.  Not bad for 3 hours by myself.  Most of it was 14' lengths.  Little on the heavy side since most of it was 10-12" wide.

Once I finished on the Red Oak I put one of the Behemith White Oaks on the mill.  Had to widdle on it a bit to get it ready for some rift sawing in the morning.

Got some great looking slabs.  I think I will save these for some scroll work!

This one comes tomarrow!  It measures 30" on the small end and 38 on the but end.  It will need some chain saw work :(

End of the day!

Today was a day of therapy.  I was getting the shakes real bad after being shut out from cutting for so long.  Satudays pole cutting in the cold just wasnt the fix I needed.
 ;D

WV_hillbilly

Nice pics  Kirk .  I had to have some of that sawdust therapy on Sunday afternoon. It was in the 20's and it was great . I wanted to do it Saturday but the weather was to bad , just had to look out the window at the logs .  :(   Come on weekend  .
Hillbilly

Furby

Well I went out to finish up the last four logs that have been sitting on the deck for a couple of weeks now.

Almost done with the second log and Ooooooops!

Wasn't sure what happened as it was different then anything I've hit/broke in the past.
Took the blade gards off to find the collar that hols the drive wheel on, came off with the drive wheel close behind! :o
Not sure why the collar came loose, but the brass washer is missing and there are some wear marks where the drive dub and collar were rubbing.
Berings look totally fine, spin easy with no play. They did however get some sawdust between the berings.
Can I just wash these out with some thinner or gas just like wheel berings??? Then follow up with compressed air and repack.

Need to find a new brass washer, and may replace the collar, need to look it orver better first.

Paschale

Man, Kirk, those slabs look amazing!   8)  Should be some cool scrollwork projects in there--can't wait to see 'em!

Furby, sorry about that...it's a bummer for sure!   :(  Hope some guys will have an answer for ya!

Curlywoods

You guys and all of those pretty trees to cut.........I am green with envy for sure  ;D
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Furby

Come on up for the pig roast and leave several days on either side to stop by a few places.  ;)

Kirk_Allen

Well to day was a great day of Spruce cutting!  Cut and stacked right at 950 BF today by myself............again 8)
I am down to 19 Spruce logs left.  Cant wait to be done with this sticky stuff.  Great looking wood but it sure makes a mess of everything.

I should have all of it finished by Saturday provided I can get out of the office a few more days this week.  Next project.............................THE SHOP 8) 8) 8)

This is one stack of 3 that I have that are 17 foot long 2x material. Mostly 2x6 but did cut some 2x8 and a few 2x12's.  Just couldnt see whacking them big wide boards down ;D  This stack is 8 feet high 8)

This is one stack of 2 that I have of 6x6 17 footers.  Starting to get into a problem with the height.  I cant lift them any higher.  That stack is 6 1/2" high.

I have come to the conclusion that I HAVE to get my shop built because this old Chicken Barn is running out of room 8) 8)

Curlywoods

New shop will be full of wood at the rate that you are sawing and hording lumber  :D  Sell some of that wood so that those chickens can have a place to sleep  8)
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

ronwood

Would have to agree with Curlywoods on that one!!!!    :) :) :) :)
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

tnlogger

kirk thst surenuff is a good stack of lumber.  8) would that be a A.S.S. hiding in the corner there.
  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
gene

Kirk_Allen

Good Eyes tn.  That tool saved me lots of time! Its a winner!

Hey Curly, want to buy some wood ;D

Cut all morning today and got shut out be some rain.  Put up another 500 bf.  8 Logs to go 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I am down to the small stuff so Im whacking out lots of 2x4's.  Cant wait to start building 8) 8)

Minnesota_boy

Kirk,
Remember how you said that spruce sawed easy?  Well son, it's time for you to pick up the pace.  950 bf. of 2"  by yourself?  I'd have sawn that much by noon by myself and stacked and stickered it too.  Make that blade sing!

Kirk_Allen

Minnesota Boy I think you should just bring your happy butt down this way and show me how it done ;D

I have 8 small log left and if it doesnt rain tomarrow I will be ALL DONE with this spruce.  I am one sore puppy ;D

Minnesota_boy

Kirk,
If I weren't wo far behind in my sawing and if you had enough logs to be worth the 15 hour drive, I'd be tempted to come show you how to saw 2500 bd-ft in a day.  Thought I'd do that today.  Started the day by getting to the site at 7:30 this morning.  Took a coffee break at 9:30, had 497 bd-ft of 2" pine and spruce sawed and loaded on the customer's trailer, plus about 150 bd-ft or 1".  Took my lunch break at 11:30 and the count on the 2" was up to 941 bd-ft.  The customer's father showed up then and I helped him hook up to and move another wagon into position for the shorter material.  Had to chat for a while so lunch break got a bit longer than I had intended, but I was back sawing by 12:15.  At 2:30 I sotpped for another coffee and counted the boards on the trailer again.  1541 bd-ft of 2" plus an estimated 250 bd-ft of 1".  At 4:00 the customer stopped in and checked the boards over.  I talked with him until it was too late to start in again so I called it a day with only 1750 bd-ft of 2" on the trailers, plus about 350 to 400 bd-ft of 1".  The customer said he would take it home tonight and stack it so I have an empty trailer to start tomorrow.  ;D

Kirk_Allen

Enough Logs? :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have enough to keep you busy for several months ;D  Come on down 8)
15 hours?  Where on earth are you located?  I can be in NY City in 14 hours from hear. Oh, you must drive like you saw...............................SLOW ;D

I think you missed something on my production numbers.  Not only did I cut the lumber, I stacked and stickered EVERY board in the barn.  That means each board, or in some cases 4 at a time, were carried into the barn, which is 40-50 feet from the mill, then stacked and stickered.  Then I have to take the slabs over to the slab pile that is about 60 feet from the mill so I can load another log and keep cutting.

If I was simply cutting lumber and throwing it on a trailer I think I would be putting a whoopin on you ;D

Minnesota_boy

Kirk,
Yup, I drive plenty slow with a mill behind.  As i get older I find that I don't need to get there so fast with the mill as I'm much more effieient than I youster be.  I can put in an 8 hour day in only about 6 1/2 hours now.

I'd be tempted to take you up on the challenge, but I'm getting too Dang old to hurry anymore so I'm pretty sure you'd whup me.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!