iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 230D Shifter Boot Help

Started by GRANITEstateMP, January 17, 2017, 05:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRANITEstateMP

Hey guys,

I need some help.  We need to replace the rubber shifter boots on both the transmission and forward / reverser on a mid 70's Timberjack 230D (353).  I'm pretty sure the trans is a new process (were the 421 the standard for the 230D?), not at all sure about the reverser.  We've used rubber shop gloves as a band-aid for the last couple years but that just isn't cutting it, The trans was froze right up with ice the other day!

My buddy checked with a local tranny shop but he wasn't sure, so I figured that folks of the Forestry Forum would be able to help.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Neilo

The NP 441-r is standard on a D series. But that has a reverser without a boot and the shift fork is in the back side.

If yours has two levers on top, sounds like a T98-L2.

GRANITEstateMP

Neill,

The reverser comes first (has the shifter on top), then the tranny (4 speed)bolts to that.  Neither has had a boot since we've had the machine, but man we'd like to fix that!

What was a common application for a T98-L2? And where can I find boots for it?

Thanks!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

David-L

Harolds in Maine or Francis brown equipment repair in VT is where I shop. I always put a peice of roofing rubber over the stick also. Double protction. PM me if you wish.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

dnash

I used a pair of CV joint boots from a Honda four wheeler. Honda #42202-HC5-003
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

bushmechanic

I'm with neilo, if it has two sticks on top then it's the Borg-Warner boxes not the New Process. I always use a piece of old skidder inner tube to keep the rain out, take off the knob and slide it down over, good to go!

UN Hooker

I found these in the pet department - Doggie toy section- came 2 in a package.
Cut one in half, drilled a nice round hole in it, slid it down the shaft and put a little RTV around it. They are made out of some tough stuff, will outlast the skidder I'm sure !!

UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

GRANITEstateMP

Ok guys, thanks for all the good ideas! 

David-L, I forgot all about Harold's, they helped us out years ago with winch parts, super easy to deal with.

At least I know what we've got for trans and reverser boxes now.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Adrian lucas

Hi Matt
you will be able to buy the boot at timberparts just google timberparts they are in Canada 
Cheers Summercutter

timberlinetree

I got ours from the trans shop. The ups trucks used the same one.( or use to)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Adrian lucas

G'day ol'e mate
You can buy shifter boots from timber parts or most other parts you require
Chase Summercutter

mf40diesel

Davco in Farmington also has that boot.  They rebuilt my top cover a few months ago  (New Process) and it came with a perfect boot to go along with it.

John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!