iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Japanese Cork Tree

Started by logboy, November 02, 2011, 04:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logboy

Anyone ever cut a Japanese Cork Tree into lumber?  I got a trailer load today.  The bark feels spongy, like cork, and the inner bark/sapwood is bright yellow.  I'll get pics later.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Being from the south, this sounds like a Palm Tree.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

logboy

I sliced up a small crotch.  The inner bark is bright yellow.  The wood itself is beautiful.  It looks like a cross between Cherry and Ash.  I'm till trying to figure out what to do with it all. I may just slab the whole lot so it has the yellow inner bark. It cuts super easy. It is some of the most unique wood I've ever cut.

Jeff

That looks a lot like Sassafras to me.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Celeriac

It's an invasive species, so keep on sawing!
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

logboy

Nope, its a cork tree. The bark and bark color are not right for sassafras.  The bark is spongy like cork when you touch it.  The tree is apparently invasive so the new homeowner had them all cut down.   I hope the bark stays on or I'll lose all the yellow.  Here is some more info.

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/pham1.htm

"Both young and old trees have bark that is slightly spongy or corky to the touch and a distinctive bright neon yellow layer of inner bark that can be revealed with a quick scrape of a pocket-knife. "

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Very cool! The wood looks a lot like Chinaberry.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

jueston

thats real pretty wood, it sure is bright yellow under the bark...

i heard somewhere that the world is running out of cork, that the consumption of it outpaces the production and soon wine makers will have no choice but to go to rubber corks or screw tops.... that piece of information is completely unrelated, since i'm sure corks are not made from this tree, but i like to pass along useless info.

Mzanger

Tests indicate that wines age just as well with rubber stoppers or screw tops, so some winemakers are putting them on fine wines as an inverse snob thing. I am interested in where you see this tree and how you use it, as they are a common invasive where I live.

Mzanger

On the earlier pictures, that looks like a philodendron cork tree: Amur River Cork Tree or possibly Japanese Yellow Wood. That chrome yellow cambium is the feature. Looked nice sawn up, did you ever make anything out of it? 

Thank You Sponsors!