iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Here's a thought

Started by DragonsBane, June 29, 2005, 09:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonsBane

Since single groove pulleys are being used to built bandsaws, why can't a double grovve pulley be used to run a two inch wide blade? If a band saw is set up to run a two inch blade then it should be able to run smaller blades without a problem then,  right?
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object envinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

De Opresso Liber.

Tom

I don't know, could be.  I doubt it though.

A band rides on a wheel by finding the highest spot (crown) on the wheel.

The teeth need to be kept off of the wheel.

I think that two tracks would be hard to follow.

'course I don't know and am just supposing based on things I've been told about band alighnment. :)

mike_van

I used Browning Poly V 24" dia sheaves for bandwheels. The  "tire" is a Poly V  belt cut to fit &  glued to the sheaves with bandsaw tire cement. No crown, the face is 1 1/4" wide & flat.   I have no tracking problems, it's rare that I have to change anything, Red Streak blades.   
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

KILROY

DragonsBane,
A friend of mine built a bandsaw and used double groove pulleys. It works fo 2", 1 1/2" and 1 1/4" blades. He built it in 1987. 
If you are building or refurbishing an older saw what you are proposing has been done and works. 

Fla._Deadheader

A "Powerband" belt has more than 1 "V", but is joined as 1 belt. That might keep the blade tracking ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

I used a power band as a drive-belt at Wood Mizer's recommendation and found that the center would split and I would end up with two belts anyway.

isawlogs

Tom .
I use them on mine and get 1000 hrs on it and only minor wear between the two belts .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

I'm sure that was  the plan.  But, for some reason mine would split in half.  It took a while but they ended up being two belts.    They still worked so I didn't care.

isawlogs

Tom
I do remember having to take the grinder to the belt covers ... they where hitting it while the mill was idling , After polishing that up  the belts did not touch , maybe that would of been the reason for your belts to wear prematurly ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

To get the power belt to slip, it had to be adjusted very loose.   When it was so loose, it would jump off of the engine pulley.   I had to devise a piece of bent metal that would, without touching, keep the belt on the pulley.   Wood mizer was thinking the same thing because, after I made mine, they sent me a sheet of paper saying that they had a solution to the problem.  It lookied just like mine.  :D

Actually, the only benefit I found to the powerbelt was the ability to adjust both belts to almost the same tension.  With matched belts, I didnt' have to much problem anyway.

I'm sure that the slapping around helped to split the belts.  I took the belt guard off of my mill to keep from being driven crazy by the slapping sounds.  Because the belt was on top of the mill, I saw no safety problems with doing so.

I don't think the belt was being cut from underneath. I had new pulleys and they rode pretty high in the grooves.  It had to be an outside/on-top type problem.  That's OK.  When they split, I just kept right on sawing. ;D

wiam

I read some where, I think it might have been on Browning's site that belts are made standard enough now that "matched belts" are amost obsolete.  I don't think I would mix brands though.

Will

Thank You Sponsors!