iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawin Florida Style

Started by Fla._Deadheader, December 06, 2003, 03:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Thursday and Friday, we spent the day retrieving logs from the river. Friday morning we sawed before we went to the river. Looked like this.

And then, there was today

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Stan

I don't see any snow. You could be livin' north of Richmond where everybody got some.  ::)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Fla._Deadheader

Left there in '73. Had all the snow I needed, by then :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

chet

Heck Deadheader ya should move yur operation up here. Ya can stand on da water around here now, wouldn't even need da boat. What yur son think of ice diving?
Da ice makes a DanG good platform to winch from too.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D  No Tanks, Chet :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kevin

That's right, no tanks.
Just breathe fresh air.

oakiemac

Deadheader,
How is the wood after it has been soaking in the water for all those years? Got any pictures of the boards off the mill?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Fla._Deadheader

Oakie, I got more pics in the Photo Gallery than most members.  ::) ::)  DanG, is that a wise statement???
  Take a wander through the Gallery. Most board pics are of Pecky Cypress, and are titled as such. I took a pic of some GORGEOUS 24" slightly Pecky, midnight Cypress yesterday, and the pic came out BLUE ??? ???  If ya can't find 'em, I will post a few again.
  When we get the load delivered tomorrow, I will snap a few pics of some of the color variations of the solid Cypress.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Buzz-sawyer

Oakie
I believe the tree(cypress) although very rot resistant ....is ultimately "saved" by the submersion particularly if it is covered with sand and silt.....no aerobic? bacteria can work and temps are cool and constant....in Florida 's post on his swamp and woods  a good example was, when a tree was cut circa 1900 and exposed (from dry up) then covered (in spring) suffering the effects of drying out insect and sumbersion annnually....still there.... but unusable.....
right Harold!?!?!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Buzz has it pegged, almost. We get logs that have laid on solid? ground and dried and them been covered with water and floated out, probably many times, before it got close to the river itself. These logs are sometimes VERY good or VERY rotten. Usually, these logs are covered with moss.
  We had a James Dandy log, Friday, that was about 4 feet across. Heavy sucker, but, had a hole you could crawl through from end to end. ::) ::)
  It's like ole' Forrest Gump said, Ya never know what you are gonna get ::) ;D :D :D :D

IF I can remember, I can get a few before and after shots next week and show y'all what I am 'splainin???
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

So, Harold. Did y'all have to make a quick trip to the Goodwill store? I didn't think Ed had any long britches. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

DanG, when we moved to Florida from Arkansas, we had some like new long britches. Cut up most of 'em fer shorts, but, kept a few in their original condition. ;) ;D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!