iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol Log home moulder

Started by Rockwood, November 12, 2008, 09:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockwood

Anyone own or have experience with this unit?

beenthere

Rockwood
There have been some good discussions on the Logosol equipment on the forum.

Take a shot at the search function button above, and see if useful information pops up.

Have you one available and of interest to buy?
Or do you own one and need some help with it, or advice about it? 

What are your plans for it?  (just inquiring minds wanna know.. :) :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rockwood

Thanks beenthere.

I had searched - only found one, not terribly complimentary thread - suggested said unit could be easily self-built.
Unfortunately I've not the time nor inclination to attempt at building such a machine.

I am interested in purchasing a device such as this (in conjunction with a sawmill) to build a log house.
My family and I are planning on building a new house and after researching log home shell packages, I've decided I would rather invest in sweat equity and equipment as opposed to a finished product. I know it will be a daunting task, but I work well under pressure.

Raw material costs (aka logs) will be minimal - we own 450+ well forested acres. The idea for utilizing our own logs sprang from the fact that we wanted to clear (actually re-clear an old 1880's homestead) some farmland. The area to be cleared (approx. 20 acres) is full of mature white pine, red pine and white spruce. Clear the land and build with the cleared material.

I've seen some info on 'log lathes'. They are expensive (Woodlandia 28k+) or VERY expensive (Roundtec 75+K), but I am still considering them (and associated infrastructure/additional equipment) a sound investment - the log home kit we were looking at was well over 100k.

As you can tell, it's 'early days' for my planning (in terms of equipment purchases and the inherent path I go down after). Any help would be appreciated.

zopi

That thing is kind of neat looking..I can see where someone might be able to build one...I am assuming you carry that to the log rather than vice-versa...

Have you considered a stationary moulder? Grizzly has a Shop fox open sided job that will take
an 8" timber...infeed and outfeed roller chains could make that fairly easy..

Of course..with the kind of dough you are looking at putting out...Woodmizer Industrial makes a big honkin set of four and five spindle moulders...thing looks evil too...shove a square in one end and house log comes out in one pass..

I bet they are pricey...maybe not as much as a log lathe though...

Of course I am completely unbiased where Woodmizer is concerned... :)
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

And of course, since I am bored stupid tonight...

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=KW171&CatID=255

search engine god, I can find anything but a shift key..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Rockwood

zopi,

Thanks for your input.

I believe the logosol log home moulder is stationary (3 phase).

I couldn't find any info on the WM moulder.. Do you have a link?

sawdust

Hi Rockwood, the logosol device I saw was mobile and powered by an 066 stihl. I tried to get them to send me one to demo but they would not bite. I could not figure out how they changed between the tongues and the grooves. I hoped you did not have to do all the tongues and they swap settings go back and do all the grooves.

sorry I cannot help more.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

zopi

http://www.awmv.com/index.html

no real info on the site...gotta call 'em I guess...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

beenthere

Quote from: Rockwood on November 12, 2008, 09:11:10 PM
I believe the logosol log home moulder is stationary (3 phase).

Rockwood
I thought you may have been looking at the chainsaw unit by logosol.
http://www.logosol.com/media/sawmill/sawunits/loghousemoulder/xHighRes/loghousemoulder_petrol.jpg
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rockwood

Thanks for the links.

I had missed the chainsaw 'version'.

I agree with sawdust, having to switch settings would make for a lot of handling.

Thank You Sponsors!