iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What’s your crossbow setup

Started by Walnut Beast, November 06, 2021, 06:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Let's hear and see pictures of your setup 

tmarch

I have a Sub1 XR and a Sub1, both set up with the HHA Tetra.  The XR has a Vortex illuminated rifle scope on it and the standard Sub1 has a red dot on it.  Had to go with a crossbow this year as I had eye problems that required surgery.  They are fun to shoot and very accurate.  I'm not smart enuff to do pictures here so no pictures.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: tmarch on November 07, 2021, 09:23:11 AM
I have a Sub1 XR and a Sub1, both set up with the HHA Tetra.  The XR has a Vortex illuminated rifle scope on it and the standard Sub1 has a red dot on it.  Had to go with a crossbow this year as I had eye problems that required surgery.  They are fun to shoot and very accurate.  I'm not smart enuff to do pictures here so no pictures.
Very nice! 

Walnut Beast

I guess not to many people shoot a crossbows 😂. I'll post some pictures of my setup. They are very accurate and fun. When your compound bow has been on order for several months I pulled the trigger on a crossbow

Walnut Beast

Ron Scott

~Ron

sawguy21

I made a crude crossbow in my teens. It was deadly at close range, I used discarded sacking needles for points, but not accurate beyond 100 yards or so. I can see why it lost favour in the Middle Ages, too slow to reload compared to the longbow.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Walnut Beast

That sounds pretty interesting. If you have any pictures of that I would appreciate seeing that 👍

Dan_Shade

I made one from a leaf spring, it didn't work very well....

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Walnut Beast

Believe it or not the new Ravin that's just released the 500 is you guessed it 500 feet per second. The down side is it's heavier. It has a electric caulking system that can be used with or without it

Southside

Just looked that up, clicked a couple of options to order one. The good news is the weight of the bow is more than offset by how much lighter your wallet will be. $5,800...  :o  :o  :o

You can buy a small herd of beef cattle cheaper than that. I like venison and all, but not that much. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

My only crossbow is a wall hanger. I bought it in the Central African Republic from a Baka Pygmy there. They used it to hunt birds and monkeys. The bolts were about 1/4" square, had a split in the back for a green leaf for fletching and poison tipped. The cord looks kind of like Jute cord and was made by hand from the bark of a vine they twist into cord. The bow is very stiff wood. The trigger is a slot in the middle with a thin board and a nail for a pivot. To shoot it you push up on the board and it pushes the string out of the notch and it releases.

Top view. A little over 4' long. Probably as long as the pygmy was tall who used it.

Bottom view showing the "Trigger". When pushed up it pushes the string free and releases the bolt.  

Top view showing the notch that holds the string when under tension. The dark area is where the bolt is placed. and it fires when the string is released.

Probably would not stand up well to a $5800 modern crossbow but pretty interesting for a naked dwarf living in a leaf hut to build with very primitive hand tools.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

@Dan_Shade  That is what I used with wire, the softwood stock didn't last long.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dan_Shade

I bolted on brackets on the end of the spring, and used cable clamps on the string. 

I think I had too much mass on the limbs, or whatever they're called. 

It was a pretty big disappointment... 

:)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Southside on November 10, 2021, 06:28:48 PM
Just looked that up, clicked a couple of options to order one. The good news is the weight of the bow is more than offset by how much lighter your wallet will be. $5,800...  :o  :o  :o

You can buy a small herd of beef cattle cheaper than that. I like venison and all, but not that much.
😂😂. Must have been a a price gouging outfit. But yes they are very expensive. The base model is 3,000 and the Sniper package is 3,700 so not far off 😂

Walnut Beast

Howard thanks for sharing 👍. That is very interesting and great pictures 

Southside

That included the secret special scope for $1,400 or so and something else, I didn't select the $75 sling FWIW.  ::)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

yep your right 😂. I forgot quite a few guys are putting the Garmin range finder scope on or the Burris Oracle 

Ron Scott

I still use my original Carbon Express Covert SL Crossbow with the 20" Carbon Express Maxima bolt with a lighted knock and the Nap mechanical head. I use the Carbon Express SL because its small frame fits me better and it is lighter to carry. I use a sling to carry it.

I've had it a few years now and it has been a good accurate shooter with the still standard lighted scope that came with it. It came with a perpendicular to the frame quiver which I changed to a parallel position for easy of carrying in the brush and going up tree stands.

It has had no issues over the last 5 or so years of steady use. I also have a cocking device for it, but so far, I have never used it. Cocking by hand is much quicker as long as I can still do it.

~Ron

GaTrapper

I shoot a Killer Instinct Furious 370 FRT. I have been using it for 4 years now. I put a Raven scope on it and it's a tack driver. Shot 4 with it this year. 

SawyerTed

Mine is an Excalibur Phoenix about 12 years old.  It shoots an arrow around 300 fps. Draw weight is 175 pounds.  It is a recurve, simple and effective to 40 yards. In 2010 it cost around $600.  Prior to that I had an Excalibur Axiom that was stolen in a break in to our home. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

jb616

Just a Wicked Ridge by Ten Point with Exodus Broadheads. 50 yards is the farthest I have had a deer go. This year my buck dropped 30 yards from my tree.

beenthere

Mathews Mission MXB 360

Use an adjustable stick for a rest. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mooleycow

Take you down another road.  Climber is a U.K. magazine.  There is an article on using crossbows to set climbing lines in redwood trees.  A crossbow with a fishing reel.  They have to carry the crossbow with them and set additional lines to get higher.  Can you imagine cocking a crossbow while attached to a rope way up yonder?  Don't look down!

beenthere

Some crossbows have hand cranks to cock them. Without, means it would be tough to do in a tree. 

But for climbing in a redwood, a haul-up line likely would be the answer to retrieve a crossbow that is already cocked up in the tree. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!