iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

corn head grease

Started by 47sawdust, July 07, 2020, 08:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

Just want to say I was urged to use corn head grease in the 4wd front hubs on my 1987 Kubota L3750 by the local dealer. 80/90 gear oil is what is recommended in the manual but in hot weather, doing loader work, it weeps past the seals.
With the corn head grease everything is dry.I did treat myself to a 18 volt Milwaukee grease gun as each side takes 6+
tubes.
So if you have on older machine that is leaking and can't be rebuilt you might check it out. My experience has been good.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Corley5

I've used it in turn gear boxes on Hood loaders, and gear boxes on snow blowers and bush hogs.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Larry

I've also used it in brush hogs.  Machines with a zillion hours that would  only hold the recommended gear lube for 10 minutes at the most.  No problems and I believe a good cheap fix for leaking seals.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

moodnacreek

Also old style 4x4 front axel king pin/ cv joint spherical housings. And those old worn steering boxes. I believe 00 grease is about the same.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: moodnacreek on July 07, 2020, 09:15:33 PM
Also old style 4x4 front axel king pin/ cv joint spherical housings. And those old worn steering boxes. I believe 00 grease is about the same.
Corn head grease is 0 rated. 00 is a bit softer and rated as a semi-fluid. 0 is rated as very soft. 1 is soft. 2 is normal grease. I wood think a combination of 0 & 2 wood be best, but I'm not pickin a fight..... ;D
Necessity is the engine of drive

Pine Ridge

I have used it in the winch gearbox on my winchtruck for several years now, winched and skidded alot of logs with it during that time. Leaking seal is why i put it in , i haven't had any trouble with it so i'm gonna leave it in there.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

moodnacreek

In a gear box, say half full, and there is a shaft higher than that, the grease must throw and keep the upper shaft wet. But it must be thick enough to not leak out. I suppose in most cases you would be able to fill the whole box but the grease must get wet enough to weep into the bearings. Also the J.D. stuff is expensive to fill some boxes.      Just talking.

Pine Ridge

I read somewhere that the cornhead grease turns to liquid above some degree or another, and back to a thicker form below that degree, seems like it was 50 degrees or something like that.

Nebraska

Last I bought was at Case IH dealer,  I had looked on line it was much cheaper off their shelf.

Pine Ridge

Price for it here wasn't bad at all at the JD dealer.

moodnacreek

I thought it was around $15 a tube for the J.D. brand. Some gear boxes would need 10 tubes to fill to the top.

Magicman

I have one spindle on my Bushhog that apparently got hay bailing twine or something that is causing it to leak the 90 weight.  I have it filled with #2 red grease for several years but even that leaks out.  I'm gonna try this before I tackle that underside.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Pine Ridge

Moodnacreek i think i gave less than 5 dollars a tube for it, but thats been around 7 years ago.

47sawdust

$6.00 a tube from Kubota.Current price
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

moodnacreek

Thanks, members. That's not so bad and I have a brush hog that I am tired of pouring # 90 in.

thecfarm

I bookmarked this thread.  ;)  That way I will remember what corn head grease is and what it can be used for.
Thank you!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Cotton Picker spindle grease is similar (OO-grease) and sold at Tractor Supply by the quart, might be better for the bush hogs, etc.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

hedgerow

I have a 14 foot bush hog type mower that came new from the factory with corn picker grease in the gear boxes. It's worked fine for 15 years and I put around 100 hours on it a year. Shoup has Cenex brand for around $3.60 a tube I think the last case I pickup a JD it was around $4.00 a tube we use it in all gear boxes around the farm. 

Tom King

Amazon has it for $55 a case of 10.  Any tractor dealer is over 20 bucks away from here, just in truck costs, not to mention time.  

We have an old 15' batwing, that came from an auction.  It's been used in the gear heads, even though we replaced all the seals, and bearings.

Thank You Sponsors!