iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E-2300: Has anyone else noticed this?

Started by doctorb, December 20, 2010, 09:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

When loading my e-2300, with the bypass door open and a pretty good fire raging in the firebox, I can occasionally see flames through the bypass door that seem to arise only on the right side (as you look through the firebox) of the base of the stack (past the bypass door).  These are not flames from the firebox itself, nor are they flames from creosote that may have collected back at the base of the stack. From the direction of the flames, they must be coming from the RC and up through the tubes.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I don't recall seeing this last year.  Anyone have an explanation?  Is this something to concern me?  No problems with the stove's performance at this time.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

MudBud

Doctor, I have seen this and only presume its from the creosote buildup below the stack.  I have had the turbulator door off in the past with a roaring fire and only smoke comes up that.  When I clean out the boiler each year I get lots of hard chunks of creosote in that area that I vacuum up and scrape down. 

I never worry about it.  I do like the fireworks after coming out of the stack at night, sometimes just sparks other times a nice jet engine flame!

doctorb

WoW!  Jet flames!  I've never seen that!  I do get some very mild sparking after loading, but it's minimal.  Thanks for the obersavtion, Mudbud.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

MudBud

When the fire is roaring and you close the door its probably burning off anything in its way.  I will try and take a video, it maybe 6 inches high but its pretty cool to see.  Sparks don't excite me anymore :)

stumper

I have seen this as well.  I beleive it to be creosote burning off.  When I have cleaned my boiler I have removed black stuff from that area.  Generally if it is black it is combustable.  I have seen the Tee portion of the chimney red hot as well.  Neither alarms me.

ken999

yup...see it all the time. It's the flame getting sucked out from the RC due to the hot pipe and high draft condition created by having a raging fire in the upper firebox.

I too get the afterburner effect for a couple of seconds when I close things up.

superwd6

See it here all the time. Mine is usually blue as well. It isn't creasote but rather the gas from the reaction chamber. If I see the fire & the stove is calling for heat I know it won't go boom & scare the crap outa me when the door gets closed :D

Thank You Sponsors!