iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timer for e-Classic fan?

Started by ken999, December 18, 2010, 10:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken999

If I remember correctly there was a user that posted here a while back about wiring in a timer to control the fan on his e-Classic. Is this fellow still around? If not anyone have any ideas on how and what timer exactly to look for?

My thoughts are this...I like my stove pulling 20-30 degree temp swings. I can't set that in the original controller, so I'd like to put the fan on a 2 hour or so delay...off(no power) for two hours, then on for one hour....or something like that depending on conditions, heat load, actual recovery time etc.

Lately, I'll come home from work and back the stove set-point down to 150 and let the stove cool down until it kicks on the fan. Usually, with good hardwood, it'll relight after this 2-3 hour off cycle. Instead of me having to go fiddle with it and manually set and reset things, I'd like to leave the set-point at 195, then play with a timer until I can get the stove to make 20-30 degree swings 24 hours a day and not just when I'm around and pushing buttons. There's no doubt the stove will run better like this and likely I'll burn a little less wood. I'm not a big fan (pun of course) of the stove only backing down 5 degrees to kick on and run in low mode (useless, like others have noted) untill it struggles to creep back up that 5 degrees. By struggle, I mean in comparison to the unit running wide open and HOT, clicking off a degree every minute or two.

Win Win for sure with a cleaner firebox and improved efficiency. After burning hot running pine all summer my firebox darn near cleaned itself compared to the on again off again short cycle of winter. As many of you recall I ran the stove once every day, wide open from 150 to 195 to heat my DHW. I gotta believe adding a timer on my fan will duplicate (as best can be) this summer operation, only 12-14 times a day, on it's own.

Any thoughts?

doctorb

I think you know more about this issue than anyone else.  I would call CB to see if they could 1) tell you how to insert a timer on the fan curcuit and 2) help you reprogram you firestarter to the settings you desire.  Sounds cool to me.  doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!