iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

idler pulley

Started by charles mann, January 29, 2019, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles mann

Quote from: Southside logger on January 31, 2019, 09:13:37 PM
In the end, given the size of your mill, the hourly operating cost may come close to that of a small helicopter.   ;D
i hope not. my wife is kinda glad I'm not flying hot and heavy like i used to. granted i didn't, and still don't pay much for time, i mostly swap maint time for flight time, but i still have to pay for fuel and sometimes, overhaul reserve cost. 
but if my mill's op cost is in the $60-70,000, I'm up that specific river with only coffee cup to paddle with.  ;D
naw, i think ill be good on op cost. once up and going, the bands will be about the most expensive thing ill have to buy on a regular basis. iv got a deal worked out with the local airport, the airport my business partner flies/operates out of, and the base he flies out of for his primary job, plus a couple diesel shops, to get all the jet-a and diesel fuel that is either dumped for the jet, or has to drained for maint on the big trucks. so fuel, shouldn't be much of an issue. plus i have to be home enough to use the mill. 2wks on shift, and 1 wk off, doesn't a lot for much time to burn through fuel or bands. 
but once operational and the bugs worked, i will for the time being, have the biggest (cut width) mill in texas, and charge good bit less, than the competitors in the austin area. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Southside

You'll be good - I am just teasing you. I did some A+P work for my FIL when he had his own small commercial service, his was fixed wing but he flew rotor for another guy, man oh man how the money would just burn up!!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

charles mann

Quote from: Southside logger on January 31, 2019, 09:42:45 PM
You'll be good - I am just teasing you. I did some A+P work for my FIL when he had his own small commercial service, his was fixed wing but he flew rotor for another guy, man oh man how the money would just burn up!!!
burn about as fast as our 2000# an hr fuel guzzling gas turbines. if you wanna make a million in avn, start out 3 million
Temple, Tx

Southside

Or wreck a Bell on a glaicer in Alaska.  Everyone walked away so it was a good landing, but sure was an expensive one.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

So its like logging then?  How much are the mobile mechanics getting?

:D
Praise The Lord

charles mann

Quote from: Southside logger on January 31, 2019, 10:57:10 PM
Or wreck a Bell on a glaicer in Alaska.  Everyone walked away so it was a good landing, but sure was an expensive one.  
my fixed and rotor wing instructors always said "anytime you walk away, it was a good landing". anytime i set the skids down a bit harder than i think i should i cringe, bc i know if i break it, i have to fix it. 
Quote from: mike_belben on January 31, 2019, 10:59:59 PM
So its like logging then?  How much are the mobile mechanics getting?

:D

mobile acft mechs or logging/equip mechs? if acft, idk, i work for free so to speak. fix/inspect them, sometimes put gas in them, but fly for free 20x more than i pay. ill be glad when i can get paid to fly them.  ;D
Temple, Tx

Thank You Sponsors!