iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone know this species of mushroom?

Started by HemlockKing, August 30, 2021, 06:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

Found this Today and not sure what it is! 
A1

Southside

Funny, same thing here today too. My wife spotted them. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tacotodd

It's the first steps to the new "Body Snatchers" :D
Trying harder everyday.

bluthum

Best  to include a pic of the underside of the cap. Gills, pores or etc goes along way in mushroom i.d.'s.

HemlockKing

Quote from: bluthum on September 05, 2021, 02:31:18 PM
Best  to include a pic of the underside of the cap. Gills, pores or etc goes along way in mushroom i.d.'s.
A lot of them a decaying now, still might be a couple good ones around I can find for that
A1

Magicman

I haven's seen that one but....

I have seen these and this one is larger than my hand.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tacotodd

Be careful when you pick it & eat it. If confirmed it's a real shroom then see how the taste compares to what you know that it might be. That's my idea of a good start. Sometimes it's the tasting thing that tells me specifics about "things". Be warned; NOT the safest way to do things :o
Trying harder everyday.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Tacotodd on September 05, 2021, 07:43:11 PM
Be careful when you pick it & eat it. If confirmed it's a real shroom then see how the taste compares to what you know that it might be. That's my idea of a good start. Sometimes it's the tasting thing that tells me specifics about "things". Be warned; NOT the safest way to do things :o
There are certain mushrooms growing around that may have strong effects be careful  :)
A1

Magicman

The only ones that I would trust to eat would come out of a can.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Seen an orange one yesterday, but huge, and not umbrella shape, more drawn in like pleating. Maybe he was cold. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

HemlockKing

Quote from: Hilltop366 on September 06, 2021, 08:37:48 AM
How about this?

Never seen one around here, I mean they could be here but I never noticed them, I'll try look out for them. So many things I don't know they species or name to in our woods, I got pretty well every tree known like the back of my hand but still need to get better with the mushrooms, bushes, lichens, fungi's etc 
A1

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Ontario government has a good mushroom book. I had one, but my brother got a hold of it. :D

"Mushrooms of Ontario and Eastern Canada" has your 'shroom on the cover. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

HemlockKing

A1

HemlockKing

A1

samandothers

At first this reminded me of your picture you posted in the first post of the thread.  

(27) Cinnabar-red chanterelles: the most beautiful mushroom! How to find, ID and the story of its biology - YouTube

Cinnabar-red chanterelles.

But the caps may be different.

Texas Ranger

bluthum

MagicMans mushroom looks to me like a type of Lepiota I'd venture to guess it's one called Parasol Mushroom.

HemlockKings orange one may be a species of Hygrophorus or a waxy cap. 

It is not a cinnabar Chanterelle.

I have opinions on edibility of both but anybody that takes edibility advice on the stuff people post on internet forums is advised to not do it anymore. Haha.

kantuckid

If you like the taste test for fungi-good luck on that one...

I'm a nut picker upper and would have been a hunter-gatherer in previous centuries, I guess. 
So, a few years back I decided to graduate from easy to tell (but often hard to find) Morels into other edible fungi out there. I bought several mushroom books after much choosing and quickly learned it's often way over my head to pick many of them out. I'm more into eating stuff not spore prints and much more detective science in the woods. 

Next to my shop entry door as we speak, is a largish, ~ 22-24" dbh, formerly twinned White Oak that one side blew over few years back and the base now has what seems to be the largest oyster shells I've ever seen. Size of a basketball, maybe bit more!

Using google they might be what's called a King Oystershell mushroom? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

HemlockKing

Post a picture and maybe someone can help out! 

I'm not really into eating them either I just wanted to know for knowledge sake. Maybe I could do one mushroom logging like OGH, for desired mushrooms, since those threads I've paying attention to all the mushrooms growing on the decaying logs
A1

JDowns71

Thank You Sponsors!