iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maspell vacuum, heat and pressure kiln?

Started by Satamax, April 13, 2022, 06:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody. 

Well, i have friends taking the plunge. They have a kiln from Maspell. Which goes to auction on the 27th of April. 

It's a heat and vacuum one. Heated aluminium plates top and bottom, the top is a heavy rubber membrane, which exerts pressure on the top plate with the vacuum, in turn compressing the wood too. 

Vacuum pump seems to pith oil, or sap may be. Feels greassy to the touch. 

I'm just wondering if i fight for it? Or let it go to the two other persons which are interested by it. Or some other, who'll turn up for sure.

It's i think a maspell M3 1.6 (1.6 cubic meter, or 424 bdft) 

If ever someone knows that one? I can't seem to find any technical information about it. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

customsawyer

Are your friends that are selling it still in the business? If they are than I wouldn't buy it. If they are getting out completely than I would look at it harder if it fit my business. I would have zero use for a 400 bf kiln but that is just me. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Satamax

Hi Customsawyer. 

Jean Marc, the father, retired last year or the year before.  And Alex the son,  has recovered from a  cancer, at thirty something.  And has "burned out" In december.  They're closing and selling everything.  But it goes through some legal actions and an auctioneer. As they had to default some payments. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

YellowHammer

It would depend upon strategy and goals.  For such a small unit, I would think it would be about right for drying high value wood thick slabs fairly quickly, maybe a couple logs worth at a time, if it would handle the physical size of larger pieces.

I'd use it as a specialty unit for specialty wood if I could get it at the right price.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Satamax

Updates guys. A friend of mine has  bought it. His workshop is 100 yards from me. 

customsawyer

Good deal. Maybe you can hire him to do some drying for you.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Satamax

Quote from: customsawyer on November 26, 2022, 06:07:52 PM
Good deal. Maybe you can hire him to do some drying for you.
Yep, me cutting for him, and him drying for me. That will happen, i guess. 

Thank You Sponsors!