iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Toys

Started by longtime lurker, September 30, 2022, 08:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Well not really toys, but tooling. New tooling.

Adjustable head 16-55mm (5/8 to 2") with radiused/arris corners, runs on double sided disposable tungsten knives. So decking cutters basically, but I don't have to have a knife grinder in house or send knives out to have them sharpened.

Just trying something different. The knives run to $340 AUD for a set of 10 double sided, in tungsten in my species figure that's around  2000 linear metres to dead, then turn them so 40000 l/m or about 130k linear feet for a set of 10.... less than a cent a metre for consumables on the side heads, call it $0.005 a yard USD. Peanuts.

I've got 5000 linear metres on backorder (15000 linear feet) today, and a backlog in the mill as well. Figure I shall have some results to report in a week or so when I get caught up in the greenmill.

I like new Toys.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

customsawyer

The strait knives look the same as on my Cantek planer. They have a pretty decent life span. I've also been impressed with their ability to take a nail strike.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

teakwood

Nice, i was looking hard for a insert T y G tooling for my moulder. Hard to find, just in europe i found, Leitz is a leading brand in tooling but at 3000 Euros the 2 cutters i had to pass. bought fixed carbide heads from Taiwan for 500$ the pair
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

longtime lurker

Conventional heads with serrated knives are what I'm used to, but I needed another set of heads so I wasn't changing my straight knives out every time we run decking.

These cost a little over 3k AUD for the two heads plus spare knives and a range of spacers. A set of conventional heads was going to be about $1500 AUD 

I don't own a grinder, so with conventional heads I need a lot more knives in play to allow for some to be away at the saw shop or in transit back and forth. I'm not sure if it's going to be as cost effective as what Ive been doing- certainly it's more expensive than regular knives if you own the grinder ( but then you need someone to operate the grinder and I am already spread too thin myself here now). But what I'm sure of is it will be more convenient.

Time... it's all about time. If I could swing across to Teresa knives top and bottom I'd do that too but I don't think it's possible with the current machine. Which leaves me thinking about the next machine but I'm also mindful about ROI and the fact that I can buy regular decking in from the big guys cheaper than I can do it myself and that in house decking and flooring production is limited to what I can't get from them (size or species) or to chew up fall down 100 x 25.

Seems like every time I solve one problem I create another. :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

teakwood

For the straight heads for S4S lumber i bought this ones, pretty satisfied with them

Insert Planer Cutter Head AM615

and the TyG cutter are not fixed ones, i can adjust thickness with shims. just the cutting edge is a fixed welded one  carbide knife. i figuered for 500$ the pair if nobody can sharpen them i just by a new set. Even in teak they last a long time.

Carbide-Tipped Adjustable Tongue & Groove Flooring Cutter TF601k
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!