iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer service route

Started by fishpimp, September 22, 2013, 10:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpimp

Just wanting some ideas from existing wm mill owners about the mobile wm service route. My mill is just few less than 500 hours. Thinking it would b great to get a techs hands on my mill and go over it...So suggestions?

drobertson

some will say yea, others, not sure,  I have never had them come out, really did not see the need.  If you are stumped then yea, just my opinion.     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

That is really not many hours.  Unless you have a specific reason or something is badly out of whack, I would just keep sawing.

I schedule mine every three years and then only do an hourly rate service.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

You might just call and ask WM what they think?

I'm thinking along the lines of Lynn. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

wwsjr

I am a believer in the WM service. I have always learned something new each time the tech was on site. Following the maintenance schedule in the owners manual is usually enough to keep mill running at its best, but another set of expert eyes and hands helps me to keep my mill in "new" condition. I usually schedule on 1 to 2 years and the hourly rate service is sufficient.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Since the service truck is in my area every year, I have the WM Tech come by every year.
I am charged the hourly rate.
He calls me and sets an appointment.
He calls me and gives me the time he will be there.
When he arrives, my mill is clean and ALL the safety covers have been removed so he can do his job.
I have a medium size log on the mill to saw if he needs to.
All the maintenance that I need to do has been done.
I have tools laid out that will be needed.

When the truck pulls up.....the Tech is able to get to everything quickly.
If I need any parts for my inventory, I get them from him.

By doing all this it doesn't take long and I put everything back together.
The Tech can foresee things I can't, and this is why I don't mind spending less than 1 days pay out of a year for my mill to be checked.

This will tremendously help the re-sale value of my mill.

This is just how I do it and I sleep better until the next year.  smiley_sleeping
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 23, 2013, 03:35:14 PMThis will tremendously help the re-sale value of my mill.......and I sleep better   smiley_sleeping

OK David, so you are going to sell your sawmill so that you can sleep.   :o :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GDinMaine

I bought a used mill (720+-hrs) and the previous owner never had a WM tech look it over. During the spring service route I spent about $500 to have a complete check, maintenance and alignment done.  I would say it was $ very well spent as the mill was out of alignment and it made me sleep better too.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on September 24, 2013, 10:06:50 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 23, 2013, 03:35:14 PMThis will tremendously help the re-sale value of my mill.......and I sleep better   smiley_sleeping

OK David, so you are going to sell your sawmill so that you can sleep.   :o :o

Exactly !  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!