iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill for rent

Started by starmac, June 15, 2019, 02:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

There is some one here advertising an lt15 for rent.
50 bucks a day or 300 a week. 
I am curious as to how well this works out for him.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

GAB

Quote from: starmac on June 15, 2019, 02:13:33 AM
There is some one here advertising an lt15 for rent.
50 bucks a day or 300 a week.
I am curious as to how well this works out for him.
I'd be interested in seeing his rental agreement.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

alan gage

I rented my mill back to the guy I bought it from when he had a small project to do. He's a contractor and needed to make some round cedar railings. He used the mill to cut the logs down to size and octagon them before rounding them with a power planer. I doubt he put more than a few hours on it and paid $100+blades.

I was (still am actually) recovering from back surgery at the time so I couldn't use it myself. I was a little nervous but he knows the mill and understands equipment well. I don't know that I'd want to go renting it out to every Tom, Dick, and Harry that thought they wanted to play sawyer for a weekend though.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

sealark37

Never rent chainsaws, bird dogs, wives, and yes saw mills.

Brandon1986

I'm not shocked that's going on up there, I was just in North Pole a couple months back and I marveled as I drove through Fairbanks at how many mills there are up there.. I may not be looking in the right spot, but I don't see much of a timber stand as I drive up either.. I guess if you own it, you want to make some coins with it somehow that might be a way...

starmac

Brandon, we have some nice timber, but you will not see it from the highway. lol
I have to get a scales ticket for the mill at the truckstop, when delivering a load, I don't know how many people that live here ask where in the heck I get the logs from.lol

I have even hauled logs from here down your way a few times.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Arcticmiller

I have wondered about that listing too. After all the time and $ I have into setting up my mill properly from neglect and abuse, I can't envision handing off a good piece of equipment to just anyone. All it takes is 10 minutes in the wrong hands to really wreak some havoc...then again I like my stuff to be ready for me to use. Maybe some dont care.

SawyerTed

Have you ever noticed how the average person treats rental equipment?  It ain't good!  

Wonder what the liability would be should somebody get hurt?
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

donbj

I would never rent out my mill.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

goose63

I rent out my mill BUT I go with to run it :)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Bandmill Bandit

I'd rent out my wife first but I'd still have to go along!
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on October 11, 2019, 07:02:42 PM
I'd rent out my wife first but I'd still have to go along!
Oh that's precious right there. I'll have to keep that one.
My all time favorite:
in this world there are two things dear to life
A man's tools, and a man's wife
You don't ask to borrow my tools, and I won't ask to borrow your wife
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

bulldozerjoe

i never rent anything, i dont have a mill but got excvation equipment...... i dont even do excavation for a liveing, i do road constuction... No way would i let anybody use my equipment..... i dont even use it lol
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000
Sthil 021-028super-029-066

seaview

We have been renting out our LT15WIDE Electric for about 5months now. We charge $40/hr and record the use with the meter on the mill. I have visited the mill several times and am pleased with how it is being cared for. Matter of fact, the mill is being returned this weekend and we will have both our mills in operation in about a week. The 15 is manual; the LT40WIDE is hydraulic. 2 operators and a big Bobcat should put a dent in our stack of cedar and fir logs before the West Coast rains really start to pour.

donbj

"We charge $40/hr and record the use"

Slight difference between $50 a day and $40 an hour. Regardless, depends on your business model how much you "go there". I still would not ever do it. Don't need to for one and don't need the head ache.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

nativewolf

For the right price and right rental agreement sure.  LT15 is pretty drop dead simple.  A couple of rentals a month and it pay's the financing.
Liking Walnut

Brad_bb

I wish I could rent a hydraulic mill just to get through the piles I've got in front of me now.  About 2 months work I figure with a Hyd mill.  I'm a 5 year LT15 go owner and I take care of equipment.  That's about the only situation I figure it would work - someone with milling experience, who takes care of equipment. The stipulation would be that the renter would have to return it in as good or better condition than he got it-Replace blade guides, do some maintenance, oil change, belts etc.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

Quote from: Brad_bb on October 13, 2019, 11:39:25 AMThe stipulation would be that the renter would have to return it in as good or better condition than he got it-Replace blade guides, do some maintenance, oil change, belts etc

Yea - that didn't work out so well for me a little bit ago when I let a neighbor use a tractor.  I think my days of renting or loaning are done.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

@Southside 
I don't blame you.  I think I remember your story- he borrowed to clear some trees or stumps and disk and failed cylinder and didn't want to take any responsibility.  Obviously you didn't know him well enough.  Now you do.

I'd be real shy to loan or rent as well.  It might be another story if it was someone we kinda know on here- Like MM, or Yellowhammer, or a host of others.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

This link addresses borrowing/lending money, but the result is the same.  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

People I loan anything (but my wife) to:
1.  My wife - benefits and all that  :D
2.  My children - see number one above
3.  My best friend - seems like I raised him.  See number 2 above.
4.  My BIL but not because I want to regardless of number one above.

All others can spit in one hand and wish in the other to see which one fills up faster.....
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!