The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: New to me sawmill!!  (Read 985 times)

Offline Sawdogg

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
New to me sawmill!!
« on: October 12, 2019, 05:27:31 PM »
 8)So picked up my new to me sawmill... would you call it a mobile sawmill 😂😂... anyway not sure what brand it is as i couldnt find any names on it also came with extra teeth the tooth puller and a on the blad sharpener that im not sure how to use it? Amy help would be great!! Now to get it set tuned and sharpend and start making man glitter!!!

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
Re: New to me sawmill!!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 05:55:16 PM »
Congratulations on the mill!  I. don't know much about circle mills so I can't help.

Others will be along to help.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 07:47:34 PM »
Congratulations on the "new to you" sawmill!

I don't know much about circle mills either, but I believe that the sharpener that goes on the blade is called a JOCKEY, but that's about all I know about it, although I did sharpen a sawyers blade one time years ago, just turn the crank the same amount of times on each tooth!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 08:48:23 PM »
That is a rotary file it should be set and ready to go . It is made by Landrus [ spelling ] when you put it on the blade you compress the spring a little 1/8 or less and clamp . Turn the handle one way then the other . One way will cut better then always turn it that way . The files last real well like more than a set of teeth .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 08:50:36 PM »
PM me if you need help with the mill I have been around circle mills forever . That is a great looking mill .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Offline Sawdogg

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 09:03:02 PM »
Well droped the saw down leveled it greased it adjusted the gig back still needs a little tweaking on that.... aslo checked the plump bit its tipping way from the log so how would you adjust that? Shim under the berings? After all that hooked it up to the tractor let it idel just to make sure the carriage cleared everthing and it worked and it did c

ranked it up to 570 RPM and sent a little maple log threw see if it did what its soupose to and it did.... next is to put new teeth that came with the saw and start milling for a building around it and cement next spring needless to say I'm one happy sawmill owner this is what I ended up with today just playing with the mill making man glitter got the itch to get this rolling full tilt :) ;D 8)

Offline Sawdogg

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 09:07:56 PM »
Thanks Gearbox guess the only question is if them are the right set of teeth for it in the pic.. and also how to plum the blade. The all steal frame makes it really nice to move since the guy wants the wheels back I have to make my own then pull it to the blackshmith shop to extend the carriage track ;D ;D

Offline donbj

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 11:18:44 PM »
Do you stand the logs on end to saw them?
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 06:40:07 AM »
Good for you!!!
What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 08:03:59 AM »
Looks like standall bits. The sharpener is an Andrus, unscrew the tightening lever on the red bar a turn and set it over the tooth, slide back and it'll index on the blade with the rotary file under the tooth at the correct angle, watch what you're doing and it'll make sense. tighten the lever on the blade to hold it in place, no need to overtighten, and follow Gearbox's instructions, clockwise from above is the normal rotation, put on your specs and look at the file teeth to confirm rotation direction. Get a file card to clean the file. Also get a good hand file and learn to use it instead, it's quicker, you'll need to chuck up the andrus to correct for awhile, just like learning to file a chain in the field. Clean and lightly oil the shanks when putting in new teeth, wear gloves and think about where your hand will go if the pin breaks, it makes a big owee in your hand. Looks like you got a good deal, have fun!
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline Sawdogg

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 09:26:08 AM »
Ha no you don't stand the logs on end.. my bad the pics are turned sideways

Their was no rhyme or reason for the lumber it was a small 12 inch log that was laying around that we tried the saw on and found out the teeth are dull made fine sawdust needs sharpening or replaced

Thanks Don P for the info I'm not sure if them are the right teeth they just come with the saw but the new bits are wider then the old ones... will they still work? yes it is a learning curve but I could spend all the time in the world playing with old equipment like this I'm pretty sure it was ment to be... for the price I paid and the very short distance (10 miles) to get it 8)

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 09:48:26 AM »
The blade should tip away from the log sitting still . When the saw stands up it should be right . check the last cut after flipping the cant and check for taper up an down . If it makes good lumber just  saw with it . The teeth aren't wore out until you are sharpening a notch under the tooth .

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 10:02:10 AM »
One thing about a circle mill . They were made to produce a lot of lumber fast get it dry and plane it . You will get better but at the start that last board is going to vary in width. 2 inch may take a full pull and part pull to get under 2 inch . You will get good at thinking in 1/4 inches .

Offline Sawdogg

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 01:54:54 PM »
Thanks Gearbox!!! All the info saved me a lot of worry and head scratching... know their is a learning curve being new to a sawmill but loving everything about it.. also planning on some upgrades and milling lumber for a shed over it

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 05:07:15 PM »
Here's a pic of the sharpener on the blade;
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=68559.0

The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline Sawdogg

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 10:08:43 PM »
Thanks Don P that explains a lot guess ill be sharpening for a while haha

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Portable Sawmill Special Deal - SAVE 10% on your Sawmill!

Started by HSV on Peterson Portable Sawmills

1 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 10:34:01 PM
by jamieotter
xx
sawmill advice what is the best sawmill

Started by KY colonel on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post February 24, 2017, 01:09:51 PM
by KY colonel
xx
Looking to buy sawmill