The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: What Sawmill should I get and why  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: What Sawmill should I get and why
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2020, 02:26:19 PM »
I purchased my mill in 2007  when I was 51 and that was after 2 years of serious research and tail gunning all the different mills I could find.

Internet Mill websites had me set on a a circular swing mill(1st), 4 Post (2nd) Wood mizer (3rd).

Then I started tailing the mills for 3 to 4 days per mill.

First was a swing mill and that didn't take a half day to cross the Swing mills off the list. Just didn't fit my needs AND sawdust waste was ridiculous.

Next was LT28. Love every thing about it but it was manual and I didnt like that.  

The next was a 4 poster and that took less time to go in the garbage can then the swing mill idea. There some decent built 4 posters but they are still a 4 post and that is their biggest problem. It is a logical design but that doesn't make it a great design.

The last one was a LT40 super, AND that is what I SHOULD have bought.
I bought an LT40 Hydraulic and that decision was driven solely by the price difference between it and the super which was a mistake on my part.

As far as general mill quality goes the cantilever design and the quality build of the Woodmizer products is head and shoulders above anything else on the market. For my part you couldn't pay me to take a 4 poster in the band saw category.

I have written a much more detailed post on this in another thread. ill find it and link to it here.          

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2020, 05:18:44 PM »
 My 4 post mill is great, cuts LOTS of quality lumber in a day and not much finicky electrics to break down. Cut 13 logs in the first hour today including setup, just squaring them up.  Plus my TK mill is the highest quality  in my opinion.  Very seldom breaks down even after 15000 hours.  Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2020, 11:45:55 PM »
I have never had "finicky" electrical issues of any kind in 2000+ hours.

Hydraulics have their place but I'd much rather deal with electric control systems myself. Not near as messy and a lot less costly to keep operating effectively.   

The cantilever head with trapezoid bed design is just so much easier on an aging body as well.      
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2020, 01:29:11 AM »
I purchased my mill in 2007  when I was 51 and that was after 2 years of serious research and tail gunning all the different mills I could find.

Internet Mill websites had me set on a a circular swing mill(1st), 4 Post (2nd) Wood mizer (3rd).

Then I started tailing the mills for 3 to 4 days per mill.

First was a swing mill and that didn't take a half day to cross the Swing mills off the list. Just didnt fir my needs AND sawdust waste was ridiculous.

Next was LT28. Love every thing about it but it was manual and I didnt like that.  

The next was a 4 poster and that took less time to go in the garbage can then the swing mill idea. There some decent built 4 posters but they are still a 4 post and that is their biggest problem. It is a logical design but that doesn't make it a great design.

The last one was a LT40 super, AND that is what I SHOULD have bought.
I bought an LT40 Hydraulic and that decision was driven solely by the price difference between it and the super which was a mistake on my part.

As far as general mill quality goes the cantilever design and the quality build of the Woodmizer products is head and shoulders above anything else on the market. For my part you couldn't pay me to take a 4 poster in the band saw category.

I have written a much more detailed post on this in another thread. ill find it and link to it here.          

What if he likes the LX450 😂😂

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2020, 02:30:55 AM »

Hydraulic are not at all costly at all on my mill.  all hyd mills have hydraulics.  I sure read about a lot of electricals  problems on here. Even with the few electric systems on my mill almost all of the problems are electrical.  Most of my customers like off loading off my TK better.  Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline Dana Stanley

• For fun and profit!
    • Share Post
    • Stanley Carpentry Construction
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2020, 09:11:29 AM »
I would get an LT 40 WM These seem to be the workhorse of the industry. Not cheap but you can get your money back later, they hold their value and sell fast. If I were younger, and had a plan to build a homestead, it is what I would have. I think you would find this would be the most productive, best support, and again best resale Machine.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2020, 12:20:58 AM »
What if he likes the LX450 😂😂

Woodmizer value for the money is top of the market and the resale value along with demand for used Woodmizer mills proves that value over and over again. 

There is reason Wood mizer doesn't, as a rule, take trades even of their own mills. They don't have too! The used mills sell that well. 

I mentioned that I may think about selling my mill to one friend and in 2 weeks I have had 5 people stop and ask if it is really for sale. 

I may actually have to decide on a price to discourage the inquiries but I am afraid someone will write me check if I do that.    

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Portable Sawmill Special Deal - SAVE 10% on your Sawmill!

Started by HSV on Peterson Portable Sawmills

1 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 10:34:01 PM
by jamieotter
xx
sawmill advice what is the best sawmill

Started by KY colonel on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post February 24, 2017, 01:09:51 PM
by KY colonel
xx
msg sawmill