iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to get a job at a sawmill

Started by panhandle, January 13, 2012, 04:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on January 16, 2012, 08:48:16 AM
"The early bird gets the worm" is not talking about worms.  Thanks r.man for bringing up that very valid point.  Workers are either "part of the problem" or "part of the solution".  The key word is workers.

Another item, leave your cellphone in your truck.  Check it at noon during your lunch break, not during work time.

That's a big item Lynn.

Two years ago I was on a mobile sawjob and the customer said he would provide an off-bearer and that he was a good worker too!

Well the job was to saw around 7,000 board feet.

About every 10-15 minutes (or less) this helper was on his phone either talking or texting.

He had to be told (by me) that I was waiting for another log, or whatever else was needed.

About 3 hours into the job and I counted, he was on his cell phone a total of 18 times.

When the customer drove in, I shut down and went over to have a conversation with him, and he took the helpers phone and turned it off.

During lunch break I explained to the helper, just how he was hindering production.

So, yes, leave the cell phone in the truck!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

roquevalente

we have a job for you , only for real men:
www.roquevalente.com/job_opportunity.htm
Roque Valente SRL is a ipe hardwood mill located in the Bolivian forest specialized in milling and logging - www.roquevalente.com

jueston

i'll be on the first flight to bolivia!  :D :D :D :D

roquevalente

okay, I am already waiting at the airport for you
Roque Valente SRL is a ipe hardwood mill located in the Bolivian forest specialized in milling and logging - www.roquevalente.com

customsawyer

I would not recommend you wait very long if he don't show on the next flight. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

jueston

there are a couple problems that i have thought of.... i have a girlfriend, a mortgage, a job.... and i speak 10 words of spanish and 0 words of portugese.... other then those problems it would be awesome... i love south american hardwoods...

so maybe you shouldn't wait at the airport for me....  :-\

roquevalente

don't worry, I have new girlfriend for you and 10 words of spanish is more then enough.
So I keep on waiting then for you at the airport here.

jueston

Jeff

Quote from: roquevalente on January 22, 2012, 03:11:34 PM
don't worry, I have new girlfriend for you and 10 words of spanish is more then enough.
So I keep on waiting then for you at the airport here.

That made be smile maybe for the first time all day. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

cypresskayaksllc

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Migal

I like showing up at the right time  :D not necessarily the time everyone thinks it is LOL but I am a good hand and we seem to get away with it as I told a former on timer not worth a chit hand I'm not just your average hand I'm worth the wait LOL  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Jeff

In a production mill, no one is worth the wait.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Migal

:D Don"t wait for me i will be there when you need me !! and stay till the midnight oil is new day coffee you bringing the doughnuts I've been here all night lol 8) 8) 8) :P
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Thank You Sponsors!