iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The Whatcha Sawin' topic continues to be a "handy" place to post some of your sawing events and activities so we will start this New Year off with a familiar question:

Whatcha Sawin' in 2020 ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

Nutten but you could send me those logs on that trailer :new_year:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

I wish.  Those ERC logs were brought to me in December 2014 and were the subject for me to start the original Whatcha Sawin' topic.  It just seems right that they continue to serve as the topic banner.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

I work the next two nights, but looking at the Hackberry and considering making wood for the pallets I have been planning.  may some time before work!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

We start rolling trucks in at 8 am tomorrow morning............. 8)
  Happy New Year !

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WDH

Stay on the right tail of the bell curve my friend :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

trimguy

This is what I'm working on, all SYP. I don't get very much time to saw, but I've been trying to go and saw at least one weedend day. I was able to go and cut 4 logs today. I

f you cut on New Years day, you'll cut all year long , right ?

Magicman

Those logs are a sawyers dream.  8)

WDH

I see some blue pine lumber in your future.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

trimguy

WDH ,yes some of them are blued, I'm sure they will be more so by the time I'm done.
Magicman, glad I'm starting with the easy stuff. Maybe I'll have this all figured out by the time I get them all cut. Actually I'm about half way thru the first pile. Its mostly the smaller stuff [ down to 10" tops ].

YellowHammer

I had some fun sawing this guy up, maybe 26 inch diameter, 10 feet long.  This was a battle.

I'm glad it wasn't a walnut, or I'd have been a little upset.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

trimguy

So , how did you saw this? I have never dealt with a situation like this. I would assume you saw thru the cracks into " quarters " then would you put the bark down ? would you put one face of the  "quarter " down ?

Magicman

I custom saw and as such I have an obligation to the customer to advise whether a log could/should be sawn.  If they insist, then it is on their dollar.  In this instance, it became pre-split firewood.  If I remember correctly it was Pecan anyway.  smiley_devil  

Some logs don't need to be lumber.

KenMac

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 01, 2020, 08:12:52 PM
I had some fun sawing this guy up, maybe 26 inch diameter, 10 feet long.  This was a battle.

If that isn't walnut, what is it? Looks like walnut to me.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Southside

I believe it's a Sarcasim-istic Sawyerism, a member of the genus, Lostus somemoneyus todayus  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Andries

I had some fun sawing this guy up, . . .  This was a battle. . . .
Ah, yep. I guess so!
Did that log spend ten years, as a target at the Cat Dozer trainng school?
Multiple earthquakes followed by a hurricane, then a tornado?
How does a log become that shattered?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

DPatton

:new_year:My New Years Resolution for 2020 is to do more sawing this year. I decide to give my resolution a little jump start by spending today January 1st doing just that. 

I started the day sawing the 2 1/2" thick live edge slabs below from a nice elm log that proved to be full of beautiful surprises. I picked this log and 5 other similar logs up for free right here in beautiful downtown Palmyra just a month or so back. I know some of the logs will have even more character than this one.  :) :) 8)

Next I milled out a small order of ponderosa pine for a gentleman that lives in the next town to the west of me. He has been purchasing a little material from me lately and had a request for some 5/8" thick by 12" wide rough sawn boards. My frozen pine was really trying to test my patience this morning, but I didn't give in or give up. At one point I even had to use my pocket knife to scrape the frozen pitch buildup off of the entire length of my Turbo 7° blade, then clean it with diesel to get the remaining residue off so it would cut straight again.

The third log I put on the mill was a total bust. It was a large ERC 24"+ in diameter but turned out the entire log was full of heart rot. I couldn't even get any decent lumber off the outer perimeter so I had to just proceed to saw it into small enough pieces to man handle it to the burn pile. :-\ >:( :-\

I finished the day sawing some oak cookies and walnut ovals that my daughter and I will make into decorative pieces, cutting boards, or charcuterie boards once they have dried down. 

I'll be starting 2020 off traveling about 170 miles to a custom sawing job northwest of Kearney Nebraska this weekend. The client is a friend of a friend, and acquaintance of mine. He is a contractor in the area and has a wack of walnut logs along with 2 little :o :o :o oak logs like the one below for me to saw. I took this picture when I did my pre-saw site visit in early November. He did a real nice job of quartering this log with a big Alaskan chainsaw setup. At that time he still had the second one (far left in the photo) to quarter up.

Unfortunately the site is going to look quite different when I get there on Saturday as he received 12 inches of snow out of the last storm. :-\
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

YellowHammer

Quote from: Southside on January 01, 2020, 10:14:25 PM
I believe it's a Sarcasim-istic Sawyerism, a member of the genus, Lostus somemoneyus todayus  :D
Quote from: KenMac on January 01, 2020, 09:16:30 PM

<
If that isn't walnut, what is it? Looks like walnut to me.

Yes, it was a walnut. ;)

It was a $400 veneer grade walnut log.  

When I bought that log, it was still attached to another 10 foot long, $400 fresh cut, veneer grade walnut log.

The 20 foot long, $800 log showed very little stress on the ends and only about normal walnut end cracking.  When I bucked it with the chainsaw and a few others before Christmas, I heard it pop, and I remember thinking  "yep that one is stressed."  It still looked pretty good though, or I'd have put it out of its misery on the sawmill immediately.

So couple days ago, I go out to the logyard and to my surprise, find out that over the holidays, the bucked log had virtually exploded like an alien had come out of its belly.  Holy Cow. Ain't that special?  I wouldn't say I cursed a blue streak, but some nearby squirrels did drop out of the trees because they had to put their paws over their ears and couldn't hold on.

How did I saw it?  Well, I reached into my bag of tricks and used the time honored MPHB (Monkey Peeling a Hot Bananna) technique.  Then I got to do it again, on the other log.  I basically oriented the cracks diagonally and put them at the edges of the boards, rotating and rotating and whittling the boards down in width as the cracks got narrower.  Then I went the edger and cleaned them up.

It happens.   :D  :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

jimbarry

Looking forward to cutting into this hemlock soon.

WDH

Got me some of them, too.  This is red maple.  I bought the log at 17' long.  I cut it into two 8'6" logs.  I bought the log because I actually wanted that dark heartwood.  Took a few weeks to a month for full development.  Must have been a whack of aliens in this one.

Magicman

Quote from: DPatton on January 01, 2020, 10:44:10 PMThe third log I put on the mill was a total bust. It was a large ERC 24"+ in diameter but turned out the entire log was full of heart rot. I couldn't even get any decent lumber off the outer perimeter....

"traveling about 170 miles....... I took this picture when I did my pre-saw site visit in early November.
You made a 170 mile pre-saw site visit??  :o

This one was not full of heart rot!!  ::)

Magicman

Wow WDH, you posted while I was typing.  I hope that the sawing in 2020 will not be a "Bust" !!  :o

At least all of yours will be QS.  ::)

Brad_bb

On Page 2 on day 2.  Will this thread be 365 pages long?

Those hollow logs are good for table bases.  As long as the good wood is thick enough, it carved the main wood out for you.  Clean it up, carve as needed.

My first sawing of this year was Formica covered particle board shelving from Menards for a buddy of mine.  He wanted to come over New Year's day and have me cut it square and to length for him.  The laminate was whitewashed barn wood look.  I said, you buy this stuff when I have piles of barnwood sitting here, go figure.  He said well are you going to take the time to prepare it all for me and glue it up to be 15 in wide?  Me: no, I don't have time for that.  Him: Well there you go.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!