iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Now what do i do

Started by sawwood, September 20, 2020, 03:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

I had a customer call and said he had some logs he wanted to have mill, most are walnut and a few oaks. When I went to look at them
I saw some root balls and asked what he was going to do with them. said i could have them, I so I loaded them on the last load home.

Now I am not sure if I should have taken them but wanted to try cutting them for turning blocks or gun stocks. After I power wash them
as best I can what type of chain should I use on my chainsaw to trim them up to fit our mill ?  Here are some pictures of them to give you
a look at what I am going to try.

Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Ianab

Quote from: sawwood on September 20, 2020, 03:43:10 PMwhat type of chain should I use on my chainsaw to trim them up to fit our mill ?

An old one that's only got a few sharpens left ? That way you wont be so upset if you hit a rock and ruin it. 

There is probably some cool treasure in those stumps, but it might cost you a chain and some blades to recover it. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

i have done a few root balls.  the wood is interesting but my impression was it was softer than the log wood.  stock up on blades for the saw mill, and the joke is "it would be best to borrow your neighbors chainsaw to trim these up"!  you cannot get all the sand and dirt off and out of the nooks and crannies,  and it does not take much to dull stuff.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

terrifictimbersllc

Yikes!   Let us know what happens. 

You could get a carbide chain but then you'd need diamond hone or wheel to sharpen it. 
Hope those werent your payment.  :D 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

farmfromkansas

I have used a power washer to clean the stumps, but still there are pockets of dirt grown in, and rocks.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

dgdrls

I sawed one,  never again,

D

sawwood

Thanks for all the help. I have some chains that are near the end and will use them to trim the root balls. I also have some mill blades
that i will use as they are also about done. Wil take some pictures as i start this project.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Thank You Sponsors!