iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pellet grill / smoker

Started by 21incher, September 26, 2014, 06:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Yesterday I took a ride to a new store called Runnings that just opened in my area. They had a grill that uses different flavored pellets to grill and smoke. Seeing how you can never have enough grills the smallest one followed me home to tryout.

I got it put together and burned it off yesterday. It is pretty cool, you turn it on, set the temp, it lights and will stay at the temp automatically for hours .

It has a hopper you fill with pellets that come in different flavors.

Tried it out tonight and smoked some brats with hickory pellets for 3 hours. They came out great with about a 1/4 inch smoke ring and a nice light smoky flavor. Put them on buns with a little fresh homemade sauerkraut and a glass of my pale ale. Got a small pork roast brining to try tomorrow. The pellets go a long way and looks like they will cost less then using charcoal. Anyone else use one of these? It is a great use for sawdust that would otherwise go to waste. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

drobertson

Only seen one on display, ought to work just fine, and by the looks of the brat,  I would say that pork is going to be killer.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

goose63

Gonna have to go to Runnings and have a look at it
wonder if that's the same runnings we have around here
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

21incher

Quote from: goose63 on September 27, 2014, 10:42:54 AM
Gonna have to go to Runnings and have a look at it
wonder if that's the same runnings we have around here
I think it is the same chain that just opened 3 stores in upstate NY last week and it looks like it will be my favorite store in the future. I checked on the Traeger website and the price at Runnings was $100 less then the web price so it looks like it was a good deal. I'll let you know how good it works when my pork is done. Has been holding a steady temp for over 4 hours now with a good bit of smoke escaping.:)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

The verdict is in. Its a keeper. The small pork bone in sirloin roast came out great. It had a nice smoke ring, but a lighter smoke flavor then items cooked in the weber and stayed extremely juicy with no burns. My wife prefers the little less smoky flavor so it will be a good companion for my weber grills and smoker. The best part is just remove a piece of foil and dump the grease bucket to clean up. Once it is cool you have to vacuum a little pellet dust from the burner.  musteat_1

goose63

smiley_clapping digin_2 musteat_1 smiley_beertoast when do we eat
gotta get to runnings and get some of the pellets
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

luvmexfood

That roast looks awesome. Good enough to eat.. Ha. Any kind of smoked sausages with kraut, sauteed green peppers and onions with some mustard and I am good to go. At least till I take my BP.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

21incher

Today smoked a batch of brined chicken thighs and they came out great. Moist with crispy skins and a nice light hickory smoke flavor after 6 hours. My poor Weber sits in a corner since I got the Traeger.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!