iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advertising ideas...I need some.

Started by Piston, July 15, 2013, 11:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

David,
The radio sounds like a good idea for advertising, I guess I never even thought of that.  I don't listen to the radio or watch much television, so it wasn't an idea that came to mind.

Have you used the radio for advertising?  Have you gotten much work from it?  I can't recall the last time I heard an ad on the radio and followed up on it. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Busy Beaver Lumber

These are coroplastic signs and what i think you are looking for

We can make them. They are very durable and will stand up to very high winds. Completely water proof. Lots of contractors have a few dozen made up and leave on behind on the lawn of a site they did work at for a few weeks to drum up more business. Very effective form of advertising

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

drobertson

piston, yes, and it has worked very well for me, and this leads to the "word of mouth" that everyone talks about,  waiting on one customer to spread the word is very time consuming, radio will get the word out. There will always be lags in any business. But a bug in the ear will get everyone's attention pretty quick, time and patience is the key. Then performing when the  time comes is the solution.  Just my opinion, sawing in this economy is brutal, markets are brittle and time sensitive, I believe we have to bend to the need at the time, taking what is available and make it work for what it is.  david, hope all works out for you, patience is a virtue,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

drobertson.we tried the radio with our greenhouse. Was a small town radio. I guess not many listen to it.  ::)  I asked most customers how they heard about us and most said signs or a friend. We even had an ad in the local paper too. Seem like the signs worked the best for us.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

I guess things vary from place to place. our local stations are pro active in the surrounding towns, other areas of the country may be different. Signs are a good source as well. I look at them while driving,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Any startup business takes some time.  Your "customers" are already using another service and if they are satisfied, they will stick with them.  The dissatisfied ones are already looking elsewhere and they are your first potential customers.  Of course, they may bring baggage because the dissatisfaction may have been partly (or more) their fault.   :-\ 

There is always a possibility of sub-contracting for an established business.  Some may even be ready to quit, phase out, or retire.

A combination of all of the above ideas will add to your exposure.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

countryjonez

I run a small construction company, and have found that other contractors are my best asset, other than quality work. I found it hard to find work my first few years until the word of mouth got around.I found a few reputable contractors doing alot of the same type work and started getting work they didnt have time for and started getting sub work from them. I have one in paticular that i became good friends with who now subs 75% of all his work to me.It works out well for both of us. I also read a book called gorilla marketing that got the wheels spinning. If you can get a copy read it. Do quality work and over time you will stay busy but this may speed it up as it did me. Good luck
If God be for us who can be against us ?

Thank You Sponsors!