iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

I am shocked. :o I watch Gunsmoke religiously and now you are telling me the state of Kansas does not look like what we see there? ??? :D :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

it does, but the erc trees are trying to take over.  The highways are pretty darn strait unless they had to go around a town.  in a plane you see all the water ways in the form of trees.  If you ever pass through, stop by and I will see if my wife will fetch you a drink.  maybe put on a Ms. Kitty dress!!! :D :D :D ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Quote from: doc henderson on July 31, 2019, 10:11:17 PMThe highways are pretty darn strait

Not really, there is that bend in the road right there at Colby.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

yes but there is a starbucks now at the filling station!!!  enough caffeine and gas/diesel to make it to Denver!!!  There are a bunch of roadside fans that make it kinda breezy out west.  they are white and really tall and with 3 blades. :).  and at the restaurant, all the "Ice" you want!
I told you they might have a curve to miss a city! :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I remember driving across Kansas going to my Brother's wedding when I was a kid. I-70 I think and my Dad wondered out loud if he should drill a hole in the floor boards and put in an eye bolt so that he could just tie the steering wheel to it and take a nap. That road was SO straight and flat, you could see tomorrow on the horizon. Nothing but wheat fields and oil wells, wheat fields and oil wells, wheat fields and oil wells...  :D :D ;D
 No big fans in those days either. Too bad, because it was hot, but dry. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Fuel was always cheaper on the other side of the road at the small place by the west bound on ramp. Plus they have a Sonic in town!!!  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

OG - if you want to see flat, drive across North Dakota, it makes Kansas look like Colorado.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Southside on July 31, 2019, 10:46:39 PM
OG - if you want to see flat, drive across North Dakota, it makes Kansas look like Colorado.  
I have not yet had the pleasure. I do know there are parts of Colorado that look like Kansas except they have mountains on the horizon. I am thinking of the drive from Denver down to the Springs. Boy, it's been a while though.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

doc henderson

Actually, western ks. looks just like eastern Colorado.  if you are ever driving west on I70 and a bunch of people have parked cars on an over pass and are standing outside looking east... check, there might be a tornado behind you.  It can be sunny in front and storming behind.  This happened out near Goodland a few years back going to boyscout camp! 8)

Southside

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on July 31, 2019, 10:51:06 PMI am thinking of the drive from Denver down to the Springs

Sadly that looks a lot more like the Long Island Express Way these days....
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

Also, my brother used to work for Koss building highways.  some of the curves are placed every so often by engineers to reduce fatigue and people falling asleep.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on July 31, 2019, 10:53:08 PM
Actually, western ks. looks just like eastern Colorado.  if you are ever driving west on I70 and a bunch of people have parked cars on an over pass and are standing outside looking east... check, there might be a tornado behind you.  It can be sunny in front and storming behind.  This happened out near Goodland a few years back going to boyscout camp! 8)
Yes, I HAVE had the pleasure of seeing that. Sometimes they are just looking to see what tomorrow's weather will be. ;D :D
BTW, Doc, this is a switch, usually at this hour your are working a night shift and I am home with a beer. This week I am covering the 3-12 shift for a vacationing supervisor while you are relaxing (I hope) in your trailer or hotel room. I am just watching the clock.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on July 31, 2019, 10:56:43 PM
Also, my brother used to work for Koss building highways.  some of the curves are placed every so often by engineers to reduce fatigue and people falling asleep.
Well that pretty much spoils the eye bolt idea. >:( >:( >:( >:(

doc henderson

yes sitting in the trailer getting ready to hit the hay.  but someone keeps posting so I have to reply! :D :D :D.  We have stopped by Jeff's a few times.  Went north and drove across the bridge, and today went to the logging museum.  in am going to the Memorial at Coleman.  Jeff has arranged for the vice pres. (of the memorial) to show us around.  having a great time, and forgot about the beer.  Now that you mention it, I think I will have one.  sorry you are working!!! :) :) :)

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Southside on July 31, 2019, 10:54:59 PM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on July 31, 2019, 10:51:06 PMI am thinking of the drive from Denver down to the Springs

Sadly that looks a lot more like the Long Island Express Way these days....
OH, that is a nasty thing to say. ;D When I was a littler kid (back in the last century) and eastern Long Island was all rural (potato, tomato, cauliflower, and sod farms) my family had a summer home out there. It was condemned by the state and taken through eminent domain to build the Long Island Distressway. I think that was around nineteen and sixty three or so. It was a nice area before that happened.

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday, I traveled over to my friend Mike's sawmill.
He has a WM lt40HDDiesel 46 hp Lambordini engine.
He wants me to cut up a large pile of walnut for him and his brother to get the lumber.
They are going to send it out to be kiln dried.

To make room for the walnut to get to the mill we had to mill up a few pieces of cherry and a large oak log.

Cutting one of the butt logs of the cherry we saw some wire fencing on the surface of the log:

We dug a bit and then got the chain saw out and cut the log off, but still managed to hit one nail.

Mike moved the small logs around so we could load the biggest one to quarter saw the red oak.

During the break down of this large 7' long red oak log, I noticed that the red light was on for his battery.
We found that the fan belt for the engine was broken and falling out.
After several phone calls to dealers and parts stores we couldn't find a belt locally. He ordered two from WM.

We took a piece of string and got a length and went to Napa and got a belt that we thought would work. Nope too short.
Got another one 2" longer and it worked but there was not further adjustment to make it tighter. And it was slipping a bit.
So we called it a day.
Sorry no lumber pictures.
But there was one nice sign on the wall:

I especially liked rule number 2.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WV Sawmiller

Not really sawing but this is my share of the cherry I sawed last week. About 565 bf and I left about 581 bf with the customer. I will see how this sawing on shares deal works out. I have a spreadsheet I use to tally my sawing so I made 2 more columns and showed a running tally of each persons share every time I designated all or part of a particular stack. We were down to a stack of 4/4 boards 5' long so I could have tossed another one or two into my pile for a near exact split but I was happy and he was too. The first thing I did was push all the 3/4 boards into his pile as I had told him I had no use or market for that kind of thin stuff when I was sawing it. We got a few 2X4s and some 3X3 for table legs and such and he decided he could use all that so I sent that to his pile. He advised he could use a couple of the 6' and 3 of the 5' 8/4 LE slabs so I added that to his pile and I got the bulk of them. I will use them for primitive mortise and tenon benches. If I find a decent market for them they should move for around$200 each. I got all the 8' LE 8/4 slabs and we split the 9/4, one LE 13 & 10 ft slabs.  Anyway at the end I was satisfied and he seemed happy so now I just need to stack and sticker my share and find a market for it. I did insist on a couple of booked matched curve pieces but offered to let the customer pick which pair he wanted.

I don't know if I will make it a practice to saw on shares but I'm satisfied this one was fair for both of us.

Assorted cuts

2" LE slabs - probably most will be come benches.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Woodpecker52

Friends expect you to saw for free so shares aint bad.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Southside

Maybe that's why I don't have many friends, just customers.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

Or maybe it has something to do with your obsession with chickens.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Southside

Actually there is "Millie" a hen that RUNS to the sawmill shed when we operate and hangs around the whole time. She actually stays out of the way of things and basically looks for good bugs. It's become quite the joke. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

Not sawing, but we are in Japan spending time with grandsons Ryder and Raiden. 

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

richhiway

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 30, 2019, 05:45:21 PM
  I got up and drove over to a customer about 30 miles away and sawed about 900 bf of RO. Mostly 4/4 and lots were 12" wide. A little 6/4 and one short log I quartersawed although the yield was not great due to a knot with some rot. Total yield about 900 bf. We got caught in one quick shower and it was thundering in the background when I rolled out.

We trimmed one log to 6', a couple 8', one nearly 10' and the one in back was 12'. Was rushing to beat the rain and forgot to get a picture of the stacks of finished lumber.
Howard,You are a busy man. I have been at camp putting the roof on the building I cut with my Logosol mill before I bought the woodmizer. Also house chores. Get back to milling soon. A fellow texted me this morning with a small order. Keep up the good work! 
Rich
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 01, 2019, 04:35:11 PM
  Not really sawing but this is my share of the cherry I sawed last week. About 565 bf and I left about 581 bf with the customer. I will see how this sawing on shares deal works out. I have a spreadsheet I use to tally my sawing so I made 2 more columns and showed a running tally of each persons share every time I designated all or part of a particular stack. We were down to a stack of 4/4 boards 5' long so I could have tossed another one or two into my pile for a near exact split but I was happy and he was too. The first thing I did was push all the 3/4 boards into his pile as I had told him I had no use or market for that kind of thin stuff when I was sawing it. We got a few 2X4s and some 3X3 for table legs and such and he decided he could use all that so I sent that to his pile. He advised he could use a couple of the 6' and 3 of the 5' 8/4 LE slabs so I added that to his pile and I got the bulk of them. I will use them for primitive mortise and tenon benches. If I find a decent market for them they should move for around$200 each. I got all the 8' LE 8/4 slabs and we split the 9/4, one LE 13 & 10 ft slabs.  Anyway at the end I was satisfied and he seemed happy so now I just need to stack and sticker my share and find a market for it. I did insist on a couple of booked matched curve pieces but offered to let the customer pick which pair he wanted.

I don't know if I will make it a practice to saw on shares but I'm satisfied this one was fair for both of us.

Assorted cuts

2" LE slabs - probably most will be come benches.
Seems like a good deal. I think you should get 65% of the wood if you have to travel. I'd do 50% if they brought the logs to the mill. I guess each job is a little different if the customer supplies good help or not, etc. Looks like you ended up with some nice cherry. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WV Sawmiller

Rich,

You are probably right on the split and this job was even worse because I bucked and pulled the logs to a landing which normally would certainly be the customer's responsibility. I took my ATV over and pulled most logs with it one day and went back another and used my truck to pull the last 4 biggest logs. I could not get the biggest one into position so I moved the mill instead. They looked like pretty logs but some had a lot of shake in them. The short LE slabs will probably turn out to be the most valuable. One 10' log I cut into 9/4 one LE had a big heart check on one end but the check was a 90 degrees out on the other end so you can imagine what is going on inside each of those planks. 

I am sure I could have negotiated a higher split but the customer/owner was nice the logs really looked good at the beginning. Probably a 50/50 would have been more fair if he'd brought them to me to saw here like I first suggested before I saw the uprooted trees but he did not even have a saw big enough to handle the bigger cuts. He was already hard at work cutting the tops and limbs into firewood when I first saw the trees and If I'd waited long I was afraid he'd cut up or at least ruin the rest. This may not be a big money deal but I had fun and will ultimately recover my costs and make a little something.

I will say stacking about a ton of those big pieces on a shelf 6' above ground about kicked my butt. 
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!