iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Camera

Started by Solo33, November 26, 2015, 05:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo33

As I am sitting here letting the soothing melodies of pearl jam wash away my guilt of eating a half a turkey and looking at all these black Friday deals I think I may pull the trigger on a camera. Does anyone have any recommendations? I hear a lot of good things about Gopro but is it really worth all that money? I would like something to attach to the skidder and also my helmet at times. I appreciate any advice fellas.
I know I was born and I know I will die, the in between is mine, I am mine

beenthere

I'm in the throws of finding out.. picked one up at Costco for $199.  GoPro Hero3+silver, if that means anything.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clearcut

I like TheWirecutter.com for reviews of technology. They describe their top choice, why they like it, and link to reviews of the product. They also list top alternatives, and other similar products that they tested.

http://thewirecutter.com/

Various models of the GoPro get great reviews but they are spendy. For a snorkeling trip with the kids I bought an SJCam SJ 4000 from Amazon for about $60. We immediately dubbed it the "FauxPro" Similar specs, compatible mounts, and if they destroy or lose it, it's not a big loss.  The videos look good to me.

Thinking of auditioning for Axe Men? :D

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Solo33

Quote from: clearcut on November 26, 2015, 10:33:29 PM
I like TheWirecutter.com for reviews of technology. They describe their top choice, why they like it, and link to reviews of the product. They also list top alternatives, and other similar products that they tested.

http://thewirecutter.com/

Various models of the GoPro get great reviews but they are spendy. For a snorkeling trip with the kids I bought an SJCam SJ 4000 from Amazon for about $60. We immediately dubbed it the "FauxPro" Similar specs, compatible mounts, and if they destroy or lose it, it's not a big loss.  The videos look good to me.

Thinking of auditioning for Axe Men? :D

Ha I wouldnt stoop that low. Thanks for the link

21incher

Quote from: beenthere on November 26, 2015, 08:55:45 PM
I'm in the throws of finding out.. picked one up at Costco for $199.  GoPro Hero3+silver, if that means anything.
We will need a review from you about the GoPro. I was looking at the same one at Costco and it seemed like a good deal with the extra battery they included. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

beenthere

21incher
It has been a steep learning curve, and I haven't climbed it all yet.

Heading out in the morning first light with it attached (clamped) to my shotgun barrel (had to order that bracket, along with a few others). The actual camera is small and is encased in a waterproof plastic case that has the fittings with thumbscrews to handle a variety of placement positions.

A bit confusing (for me) to know the procedures for viewing on the computer, or viewing on the TV. Have concluded so far that the cable from camera to USB port is flawed in a connector. They sent two, so seems to work better using the second one.
Had to order an HDMI cable to interface with the TV to use as a monitor. There are two batteries, but don't know the life span of them.
Will keep you posted, and maybe if some action shots, put them on YouTube.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kbeitz

Not that you would want one but I gotta brag about my Sony Mavicas.
I seems like I bought my first one 15 years ago. It's what I'm still using.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Solo33

I went with the GoPro hero+. Should be here in a week

beenthere

Now that I have one, I'm reading and experiencing all the problems of them going "brain dead".  Referred to as "freezing up" and just not responding to any commands, including shutting off.
But hoping to overcome that by learning more what might cause it.

Learned this morning at 19 F above, that the camera didn't appear to like that cold. Turned the video on and heard it continue to give a couple warning bleeps every 4-5 seconds. Looked at the display, and saw the temp symbol that the manual says is caused by overheating and automatic shutdown to protect itself. Did continue to video when I tested it, but the battery seemed quite dead when I brought it in out of the cold.
Will be glad to share war stories.
south central Wisconsin

Ianab

Battery voltage drops when it gets cold and only a small voltage drop is interpreted by the camera as an almost flat battery, and it shuts down to prevent the battery from being totally discharged, which is bad for lithium batteries.

Our Fuji "Action" camera is only rated to work down to -10C

Some cameras that take AA batteries can handle the cold better because the alkaline batteries perform a bit better in the cold.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

r.man

Beenthere, my wife says that it is going to be a surprise at your house when you go to film the family christmas.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!