iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Poplar Beams

Started by jdub, June 01, 2013, 09:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdub

I have a few old hand hewn poplar beams left over from building my house a few years ago. Different lengths and dimensions, but they are in the neighborhood of 16 feet long and 8"x14". These are hewn beams, not logs, so they won't work as replacements for me in the future and are taking up space in the barn. I'd just as soon see someone get some use out of them.

Chuck White

You could always put them on the sawmill and make lumber out of them.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jdub

I thought about that, and they would make beautiful lumber. These beams are well over 100 years old. Since they aren't making 'em like that any more, I thought I'd see if someone needs old beams first.

beenthere

Welcome to the forestry forum

Would be interested in more about the history of the 100 yr old beams.

We like pics too. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jdub

Thanks, Beenthere. I don't know too much history about them. They are part of a log cabin that was in Monroe County, Indiana. When the old cabin was taken down about 15 years ago, a newspaper from the late 1800s was found in it. We used most of the logs to build our home and these are left over. I'll try to post a couple pictures later today.

beenthere

Make a list of the lengths and conditions, and put an ad in the "For Sale" section here. 5% goes to support the forum that way. The lengths and condition will be important to a buyer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ancjr

Howdy!  I'd definitely like to see the beams!   

shinnlinger

Around here they would be worth about $20 a foot if their still reasonably sound.   
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jdub.   :)

I have some axe hewn beams that I am using on my Cabin Addition.  I am sawing and only using the surface on some of them.  That, in effect, gives me all four faces to use and enjoy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!