iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More than ya could ask for

Started by MemphisLogger, April 01, 2004, 07:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MemphisLogger

Sorry, gotta gloat . . .

Got a call from an arborist/friend yesterday says he's got a big log o' willow oak that's absoutely healthy. Iask him how big an he says 8' and 40" in diameter. I says sorry too much work rippin' a log that big if it's just willow.

He calls back 20 minutes later and says it's not that big anymore--come and get it.

He says he'd be happy to do 'em all that way for me if they're bigger than 36", which is most of 'em 'round here.

;D      
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

WoodChucker

Congrats, it's great when you have friends like that. From the GodFather movie " Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"  ;D

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

ARKANSAWYER

I really dislike them like that as it makes them hard to roll.  But then again here on my ridge that might be a good thing as it would keep so many from rolling down into the holler.  If he is going to treat you so good I hope you remember his birthday and Christmas.  Most of my tree guys just buck them at an angle about 6 ft long. >:(
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

MemphisLogger

Arky,

Yooze right on about mama nature makin em round for a reason  :D We much prefer em if they're right on 32".

As for arborists cuttin em funny, I've been holding well lubricated  ;) bucking and staging seminars with independent arborists all around town. I rarely get em shorter than 9' nowbut the base log still invariably has that funny angled cut on it--they say it has something to do with gettin it to fall where they want it  ;)

My favorites by far are the crane crews that will cut the logs straight thru and lift them off one by one and set them down right where we've got the mill set up--I've even got one guy to set it on the mill  8) --kinda scary though since I watched one 20 ton crane loose it's cable bringing down a 12' second log of 50" diameter oak. THUD!  :o  

We got it made since it seems that despite Memphis' claim to be the "Hardwood Capital of the World", nobody around here has been sawing city logs with the exception of a few that saw strictly for their own use. And there is one fart smella that follows the biggest commercial tree company with his log truck, then yards em until he has enough to fill a tractor trailer that he takes to big mills in AR and MO.  

The way most of the arborists here look at it, I'm doing them a favor by hauling off the biggest(heaviest) part of the tree for free. The fella that quartered that oak for me said he didn't mind it since he would hafta slice it into rounds anyhow.

I was warned by alot of folks in the wood business round here that I would regret running a mill because of all metal I would hit. But despite hitting dozens of nails and a few cables and insulators, I don't mind at all. I meanm, what's the cost of a $20 blade along side a 200-300 bdft stack of 15-20" wide and clear Walnut or Cherry.  8)

I am getting sick of winching logs onto a trailer (which was fine when we first started out) .  .  .

Anybody got a used log truck with a loader?  ;D  

and before any of y'all think about coming down here an snatchin' up any of my walnuts, be forwarned, ya gotta speak ebonics to work with most of the owners  :P
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Thank You Sponsors!