iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hidden beauty

Started by Tom, April 13, 2002, 08:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

You can't see the pretty stuff from the road all of the time.  Sometimes you have to tromp through the woods and look under stuff.  Here was a surprise deep in the undergrowth, a domestic lilly of some sort.

woodman

Spring is in the air.
Jim Cripanuk

CHARLIE

Well, in SE Minnesota we had 2 days of rain with temps in the low 60's and then today was beautiful with temps in the 70s! 8) 8) 8)  The grass is starting to green up. No leaves on the trees yet though.  It's raining again. Supposed to get 2 more days of it before we get the sun again.

Tom, that lilly looks too red to be a ditch lilly. The ditch lillies up here are orange. ;)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

This is some kind of domestic lilly that got loose, Charlie.  Don't know how a bulb got into the woods but perhaps they seed too.  It has two flowers exiting the top of a single stalk and is pure red.  There are no leaves that I could find, haven't figured that out yet.  It isn't like any wild lilly we have around here.

Paul_H

We have a lot of big cherry trees growing in the woods surrounding our place,and a few apples.But none are native.We have fruit trees,and Black bears are a daily occurrance,from July through late Oct in our yard(on our porch)
I wonder if some animal or bird did the sowing?(if it was a Tulip,might suspect a dutchman) ::)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bud Man

Tom  Is this the first time you've run up on this Lilly ?  Might want to keep an eye on it and collect some seed. Have you tried to find it in the books ?
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Tom

Budman
I've seen a Lilly similar to this around old homes, in the flower gardens and beside the mailbox but never on my place.  It surprises me to find Lillies in the wild because you ususally think of them as propagating through corms.  I hadn't thought about it before but I guess they may be the food of some rodent and could be spread in that fashion.

No, I haven't tried to look it up yet, but I will.  I'm not too good on finding the write-ups of Domestic stuff. It seems that horticulturalists who write about garden stuff write about the color more than the identification.  I'm sure there is a place though.

timberbeast

I got lots of purple ?Irises? growing wild on my land in the wet areas.  Anyone see these?  Seems to be more every year.
Where the heck is my axe???

Bud Man

Most Iris and Lilly's produce seed heads as well as spreading by rhizomes .  The Iris is the state flower of Tenn. and other states La. etc.. The birds work my seed pods over pretty good and help spread them around, they have a high percentage of fertility !
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Frank_Pender

Yep, I have lots of Iris on my place also, in blues lavenders ad purples.   Somes places in the forest it is almost a carpet of purples. 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Tom

I have Iris way down in the river swamp next to the creek but they don't come up on the hill even where it's wet.

Bud Man

They come in lots of varieties-Bearded like dry conditions. Lousianna-like water. Siberian - like water, I've got my pond full of em.  Hundreds of colors and combinations too.  Blooms last for 4 weeks to 6 weeks, mostly April, May and June !

timberbeast

Them's the ones!  Sure are pretty.  Then some kind of delicate looking yellow flower comes up,  for a short time,  then the white daisies and the brown-eyed Susans cover all the open areas.  Can pick wild Strawberries all around the shack,  just gotta remember where you.......... :D
Where the heck is my axe???

SwampDonkey

timberbeast and Frank_Pender we have those blue irises up this way also. They call them blue flag and they grow along stream banks and wet places up our way. Also there is a tiny iris that gets over looked and I posted it recently in the Plant ID section. Looks like a blade of grass with a tiny blue flower. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dail_h

Tom,
   They look like canna lilies to me. Can't tell for sure,are the leaves wraped around the stalk likecane 'n corn sorta?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Tom

These aren't Canna.  I know them when I see them. I've seen similar flowers and stalks in nurseries and peoples yards.  Never in the wild.

Thank You Sponsors!