iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Set up advice

Started by Bruno of NH, April 02, 2021, 05:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I got a big order of 8x8 's to do later this month.
8' to 16'long 
How would you folks set up to do this .
I want to keep the hand work as easy as o can.
Thanks Bruno 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

Bruno,

I am not real sure I understand the question. Are you sawing mobile or stationary? Are they your logs or the customers? I'm assuming you are saving the side lumber. 

If I were sawing at home with no help and had the options I'd saw in order of longest to shortest. I'd offload the side lumber off the rear of my mill onto the forks of my little FEL on my tractor and the timber on to the back of trailer I had backed up to the mill. As I finished each 8X8 I would lift the rear toeboard and roll each completed timber directly on to the trailer till I finished or had a load, whichever came first.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

I would also saw the longest first. Because if the long one doesn't pan out on one end, usually the top of the tree end, then I cut it back to a shorter one. If you have all the shorter ones done then you're not cutting towards the order.
I would cut side one and roll twice and cut side three to make the log 8" wide. Then when cutting sides 2 and 4 you're making either 1x8 or 2x8.
Sometimes I leave a board or plank on side one and or side three, in case of stress in the log and come back to that face after doing the opposite face to finish it to size. Hopefully releasing the stress evenly.
Just some of my thoughts on the subject.
Good luck with your order.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Larry

I kick them off on the log stop side of the mill using the two plane clamp for the most part.  If just a few they fall onto forklift forks.  If a bunch I set up ramps for the timbers to fall on.  Doing it this way its a one man job and I never touch a timber.  It's pretty fast also.

I drag back slabs and side lumber.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

customsawyer

And this problem is why timbers are as much if not more than the price of lumber.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

moodnacreek

When I do 12 x12x I put a few logs on the deck and leave the loader right there. After the side lumber is taken off the square 12 x 12 is put back on the log deck and a new log put in front of it.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: customsawyer on April 03, 2021, 07:45:16 AM
And this problem is why timbers are as much if not more than the price of lumber.
I learned this very early in my sawing business. 
Some folks want a big discount for timbers .
They think it's alot less work.
That is so wrong in many ways. Moving 8x8's around is not like moving a 2x8 off the mill.
Then you have the side lumber to deal with.
I like doing it while I go , not waiting till the end of the job.
I have done much to boost my production since the first of the year.
I'm changing the mill yard around after mud season and the mill will go on a concrete pad.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

When doing the real big stuff, I raise the loader arms about halfway, and use the log clamp moving backwards and upward to flip and reverse roll and kick the big cant or even log half if I'm quartersawing back to land the loader arms.  Then I drop the arms and the piece lays on the two cross ties I use as a log deck, which elevates it enough for me to easily get under it with forks.  I pick the piece up with the loader and then put on a new log.  It's not real fast, but it's pretty fast and takes zero hand work, besides stepping in and out of the loader a lot of times.

If you want to get fully automated, Baker has a cant kicker setup that automatically ejects cross ties and such.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

PAmizerman

Roller table off the tail of the mill. You might have to make a table that fits on the mill so you can push the short ones off. 
This way you can load up the log deck with logs. Handling each beam individually would be too time consuming in my opinion. I'll have to draw up what I'm thinking. I'm not the best splainer.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Dave Shepard

I'm doing timbers now, and for the next six weeks. I place the log on the mill. Slabs go on the ground on the loader side. Boards either get dragged back to the edger, or stacked behind the mill. I take the timber off the mill, stack it, and get another log. You can just see the board pile behind the head.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ricker

I use the same method as yellowhammer now. It's a bit slow one log at a time but it's the easiest way on your body.  My back has not been the same since a 17,000 bf 8x8 hemlock beam order 4 years ago when I thought I was indestructible and used a more physical method.

PAmizerman

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

moodnacreek

You have to charge less for timbers because that's less cuts! [ so I have been told by customers]

Thank You Sponsors!