iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS462 CM in Canada!

Started by HolmenTree, November 04, 2018, 08:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Yup I heard lots of good reports too. Put some hours on it and you'll have a great performing saw.
I'm waiting for a 462 Arctic with the heated handles and carb, won't be available until February. 
Welcome to the forum Builtbybross.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Builtbybross

I received my 462 Friday and used it over the weekend. It is a smooth saw and had all kinds of power with a 25" bar with a carbide chain. The new kill switch and anti vibration handle is very nice and compared to our couple year old 461 it is a lot more comfortable to run

John Mc

Quote from: Builtbybross on November 25, 2018, 10:30:48 PM
I received my 462 Friday and used it over the weekend. It is a smooth saw and had all kinds of power with a 25" bar with a carbide chain.
What are you cutting that you need a carbide chain for?
They do hold up well, but I've not tired one yet that I like the cutting action on, compared to a well sharpened regular chain.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

Quote from: Builtbybross on November 25, 2018, 10:30:48 PM
I received my 462 Friday and used it over the weekend. It is a smooth saw and had all kinds of power with a 25" bar with a carbide chain. The new kill switch and anti vibration handle is very nice and compared to our couple year old 461 it is a lot more comfortable to run
I was wondering if you bought the MS462 CM R (rescue saw) with carbide chain and without the bar depth control guard Stihl was advertising?

realzed

Watched a new YouTube video from Sweden - Skogsforum.se on YouTube Stihl MS 500i - First Review Chainsaw w/o Carburetor - YouTube last evening on the new 500i saw. All I can say is Wow!
Does Stihl do this in Sweden just to drive Husky crazy right in their own back yard!??  
Weighs basically the same as a new 462 and yet puts out close to 7hp - cuts like crazy- said to be scheduled for 2019 year whenever that means in 'Stihl-time'..
They showed it up against a 362 and it would hack through a big log in virtually half of the time.. not that I care that much about cutting for speed, but it does illustrate the power from somewhat a decent comparison sake.
The price was in Euros and a wide range at that - 1400 - 1600!!!
It better be good for that much - unless that all changes by the time it hits here!
I would never need or even want one (a nice 262i would be great) but amazing speed, power, lightness, and look once they opened up the filter and top covers to allow a peek inside and there's not much there - thus much of the lightness!

HolmenTree

Randy, thanks for sharing this video. You beat me to it :)

Very impressive saw and video.
Only complaint I have is it cut on a logging site for 20 straight tanks of fuel , which is normally about three 7 hour logging days without cleaning.

The result shows fine dust working its way past a very dusty air filter into the intake.
Now we all know cutting spruce or other softwood like in the video is very dusty and sappy alot more then cutting straight hardwood.

Now if the logger had any worth in maintaining his saw he would have at least tapped out the air filter the best he could to clean it after a 7 tanks or a 7 hour day.

Yes Stihl has taken the lead in the industry with the 500i and 462, and will for years to come.
Unfortunately I hate to say Husqvarna will have to sell more lawn mowers and sewing machines.

ehp

Im still waiting on my 462 , London says they donot have any but I never asked when the next shipment is coming in

ehp

HolmenTree

Quote from: ehp on December 13, 2018, 09:58:23 PM
finally came in late today
Ed, were you able to get a Arctic?

ehp

No, I did not , 462 is lighter than the 461 but once full of fuel its no where near as light as the 562

HolmenTree

Well I heard the latest upgraded 562 is about .8 lb heavier then the old ones.
Should be more then a 462 now.

teakwood

and the 562 is a 60cc saw, the 462 is 70cc. two different classes
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ehp

the 562 is pretty new and heated handles on it but then again lets just saw the cylinder should be quite abit lighter than a stock one , for some reason none of the ports look like the stock one does

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on December 15, 2018, 07:17:37 AM
and the 562 is a 60cc saw, the 462 is 70cc. two different classes
Yeah those 2 model numbers can be confusing  :D

ehp

not confusing at all, Just the 462 is lighter than the 461 but not like I was hearing it was , everyone was saying it was the same as the 562 which its not

ehp

and my 562 will eat it for lunch, ya it runs good the 462  but not even close to the 562

HolmenTree

Quote from: ehp on December 15, 2018, 02:26:14 PM
and my 562 will eat it for lunch, ya it runs good the 462  but not even close to the 562
Ed, a little massaging with your porting tools on the 462 will blow away your 562. ;)
:)

ehp

going to run it for a while and see how it ends up  before doing anything to it , only fair way to see how it cuts

Phil_Oz

Listed on the Stihl AU website for AUD $1959 (roughly USD 1490). So they are here too.
I was at the local Stihl dealer yesterday, didn't see one there, but wasn't looking for it either.

On Youtube, the 'Swedish Homestead' guys do a review (and also review the Husky 572XP?). Nice, but I can't justify it for what I do - firewood etc.

[Edit to add]
...And the Husky 572XP is also on their site - by some strange co-incidence - it is exactly the same RRP as the Stihl MS462 C-M.
Stihl MS291, Stihl MS170, Husqvarna Rancher 50 (~86 model).

ehp

the 462 is starting to seat the rings , its seems to run ok, its abit lean on idle once its up to temp but no bog . once its totally broken in I will test it against some other stock saws and see how it compares

ehp

461 for sure has more torque than the 462 , but I find the 462 nicer to use and for sure nicer to limb with compared to the 461 . That's mainly cause its thinner in design . Once I got say 50 tanks of fuel threw the 462 I will run it against a stock 461 , I think I got 3- stock 461 sitting here with about those number of tanks threw them  

nativewolf

Looking forward to hearing more.  I couldn't wait so bought a husky to hold me for a year.
Liking Walnut

ehp

the 462 is coming around some now , rings are starting to set but compression still is not up to full yet I am sure . Cut bigger hardwood today with lots in the 36 to 42 inch dbh , its a nice saw to run . I like the mounts on this saw far better than say my 362 . Its nice for cutting limbs being thin like it is . Yesterday thou I had to get stuff cut so I ran the ported 461 . once the 462 is  ported if  I can end up at even 80% of the power the 461 makes I will be happy . I know Im not going to end up close to the same in power mainly cause the 461 produces so much torque .

barbender

Thanks for all the updates on the 462, ehp👍
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

In stock form the M tronic on this saw works the best of any of the Mtronic or autotune saws I have run , its pretty good

Thank You Sponsors!