iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS462 CM in Canada!

Started by HolmenTree, November 04, 2018, 08:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

today she finally kicked back a couple times when starting cause just not pulled hard enough, never did that before so maybe now the rings are starting to set

teakwood

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 20, 2018, 08:31:02 AMRandy, that Stihl 20" ES Light bar will raise the price considerably.

Willard, can you weight your 20" light bar and give me the exact kilos? I could not find anything online. I'm trying to calculate if a 462 with 20" light will be the same weight as my current setup, 361 with 18" ES bar.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on December 30, 2018, 08:01:50 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on November 20, 2018, 08:31:02 AMRandy, that Stihl 20" ES Light bar will raise the price considerably.

Willard, can you weight your 20" light bar and give me the exact kilos? I could not find anything online. I'm trying to calculate if a 462 with 20" light will be the same weight as my current setup, 361 with 18" ES bar.
Ramon, the 20" ES Light bar weighs 0.907 kg. (2lb 0 oz exactly)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

realzed

As an aside - considering we talked about the cost somewhat of having one of these 'light' bars.. earlier in this or another thread - I did ask our local dealer here that had the new 462 model on display - just how much it added to the cost and his response was a $120.00 to upgrade.. it was a 24" size as well..
Not sure if that is a typical cost - but it was what I was told it was there at least!

lxskllr

$120 sounds really high. That's about what it costs to buy the bar outright(in USA).

Been debating light bars myself. It's an extravagance I don't need, but... I like the way the Stihl bars look, and the branding matches, but the Sugihara are a good bit cheaper.

realzed

It appears the dealer was either wrong OR he doesn't want to sell very many - as I now see Stihl lists the saw on their website around $60 or so over a model with a 16" regular bar (who would ever want one with a 16" bar?)..
Anyway - possibly what he meant was that the 24" lightweight bar would cost an additional $120 over and above a complete saw albeit carrying a 16"er.. - that would make more sense and $$ logical..

HolmenTree

Quote from: realzed on December 30, 2018, 06:09:10 PM
It appears the dealer was either wrong OR he doesn't want to sell very many - as I now see Stihl lists the saw on their website around $60 or so over a model with a 16" regular bar (who would ever want one with a 16" bar?)..
Anyway - possibly what he meant was that the 24" lightweight bar would cost an additional $120 over and above a complete saw albeit carrying a 16"er.. - that would make more sense and $$ logical..
Randy, I ordered a 20" ES light bar from my Stihl dealer and with tax it was $180.
But if I ordered a  new MS462 the 20" light bar upgrade would only cost $50.
$60 for a 24"
$75 for a 28"
$85 for a 32"
So with my next new saw purchase I would order it with a 28" and then be set with all the versatility I'd need for what I cut.

teakwood

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 30, 2018, 02:11:18 PMRamon, the 20" ES Light bar weighs 0.907 kg. (2lb 0 oz exactly)

Thanks Willard.

the 18" ES bar is 1.1kg, so doing the math: the 361 is 5.6kg, the 462 is 6kg. the light bar is 0,2kg lighter but the saw 0.4kg heavier.

the new setup of the 462 with a 20"light will just be 0,2kg heavier than my current 361 with 18"bar and i will gain 2" of bar length and 1.4 hp of power. Wow, that will be great!!

i researched the fuel capacitys on both saws, the 361 has 680cc and the 462 has 720cc, so they're almost the same. makes you wonder if the 462 will fly thru a tank?? 

ehp

as mine breaks in its getting better on fuel and it has a lot more jam than a stock 361

DelawhereJoe

Do you think the dealers down your way will have the electronics to hook up to the saws ? They are still selling the 051 and looking at the website they don't have anything thats m-tronic, most things look like they are 1+ model behind the times.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DelawhereJoe

It would be terrible to buy a saw and have no one who could work on it because of the technology of it.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

teakwood

I never had any serious trouble with any stihl over the last 20years, so why start now??

They have 2-3 M- tronic saws already, one is the top handle saw. My dealer already has the stihl training for the new saws. not much sold here though.

The 051 isn't sold anymore, they just never update the homepages, but you are right: we are 1-2 models behind but that doesn't mean that i can't set new standards around here with trying out newer models.
The dealer sells some things they didn't because of me insisting on getting them. 
I brought 2in1 file guides from the US and sold them here to some local loggers who had a hard time to get a good edge on their saws    

ehp

if your a dealer here you have to have the machine to fix it , this 462 will remind you a lot like the 362 but to me , its got far better mount system for logging, 362 mounts are pretty soft for falling I find, more power and a nice saw to cut with

ehp

Im thinking the 462 should be about as good as its going to get by now so when I get a chance I will test it against a 461 and a 372

teakwood

ehp: If i get a 462 can i open up the muffler so the saw wakes up some more and breath a little better and runs cooler? What would you recommend for modifications? i just want the saw to run a little better for all day use, don't need a screaming saw which spend double the amount of fuel.

ehp

yes you can open up the muffler , I ordered another 462 today. I cut with this saw most of the time and got lots of fuel ran threw it , its good so I want 2 . I will take the 362 out of the pickup and replace it with another 462 and then I got 2-461 arctic;s and 2- 462 with me . I have to say that this 462 is by far the cleanest stihl I got as far as how dirty the air filter gets , mine still is like new and have not touched it yet, my 461's I clean everyday

ehp

just open muffler up abit and try it , they take a while to break in . Lots of guys think this 462 is ported but its stock yet but it sounds kind of like its ported and you run it like its ported

teakwood

thanks ehp, i don't need one right now, teak market has dropped by 50% so that sucks big time and the spending money part is suspended!
Of course the saw will never be available here, so if any of you guy comes to Costa Rica on a vacation trip will have to bring me a 462 in the suitcase!

ehp

looks like I will not get the next 462 until close to the end of the month, Stihl Canada is sold out again and waiting for the next shipment of saws

ehp

today was a very good test day for the 462 , Im cutting on a hill very close to Lake Erie so a lot of wind , with wind chill it was -34 or -35 for most of the day . It was -24 without wind chill, its to be -25 or more in the morning without wind chill . Air has a lot of ice moist in it so most mtronic/autotune cannot adjust for that, the 462 never missed a beat and ran quite well. Wood was quite hard to with the water/frost in the tree.

barbender

I'm waiting for your verdict on it, ehp...how does it compare to a 461? I need to update my larger saw soon, and I'm having a hard time deciding if I should wait for the 462, go with a 461, or even a Husky 576. The 576 is a lot less money at the local dealer than the 461.
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

462 is the best deal I feel right now as a saw to use everyday , its a lot nicer to fall timber with , its lighter, narrow and feels good in my hands , I donot have the arctic but the handle bars are not steel so even today my hands were fine to cut with. I have zero complaints about this saw and did order another one , They must be pretty good cause Stihl Canada cannot keep any in stock, always sold out but I should get my other one in about a week I was told . Price wise from what I have seen guys say they are to pay in the USA is a lot more than what I pay in Canada, not sure why that is other than someone is making money off you guys . One thing thou I found it takes a while to break the 462 in so what you start with is not what you end up with . I think the 462 is out in the USA now . It turns a higher rpm in the wood compared to the 461 , it has a little torque but in cutting speed its a pretty close race between the 2

ehp

its kind of like running the old 044 in a lot of ways power wise but 462 has a better mount system and a way way better air filter setup, Its the best filter setup I have ever seen on a stihl  

barbender

Thanks ehp! Yeah I'll have to see what they're priced at, the local dealer that is typically pretty fairly priced has the 461 up around $1100 I think. We'll see when they get some 462's. I really like the 261cm I got last winter, it's a torquey little beast and just runs really well. I had a 346xp before that, the 261 doesn't rev as much or as high it seems, but personally I prefer a torquey low end power curve. If the 462 ran just like that 261 but way more if it, that's what I'm looking for😊
Too many irons in the fire

HolmenTree

Quote from: ehp on January 21, 2019, 11:49:36 PM
its kind of like running the old 044 in a lot of ways power wise but 462 has a better mount system and a way way better air filter setup, Its the best filter setup I have ever seen on a stihl  
Thanks Ed for taking the time to share your experiences with the 462.
I don't own one yet but my feeling about the 462 from everything I read about it reminds me of a 044 also.
At the time in the late 1980's the Husqvarna 268XP and the Jonsered 670 ruled supreme in the 70cc class.
So at the time myself being used to a 064 and a 038 Magnum the 044 had a much different powerband... not as much torque but more high rpm power. My early 1989 10mm 044 was light, narrow profile and a zippy high power saw for the time period.

Thank You Sponsors!