iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Here we go again, chainsaw pants/chaps

Started by petefrom bearswamp, May 21, 2013, 05:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Both my sons and my Husky chaps have stopped the saw for us.
I read that they should be replaced.
I need opinions on the best/coolest/properly sized articles of this type.
My sons bday is next week and i want to get both of us new safety pants.
Thanks all
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Cedarman

My son Ian just informed me that a local logger just ran a saw into his leg cutting a sprung sapling that forced the saw into some meat on his leg.  Don't know if he had chaps on or not.  Your post, the loggers mistake, chaps work.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

MEloggah

I run the husquvarna brand that wrap around my calves. no complaints. I see guys that wear chaps that still leave 4 inches or more of shin exposed. to me, that's pointless. I like mine to touch the tops of my feet. labonville has some good stuff as well.

beenthere

If the Husky's have worked for you and for your son's, why change? ;)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bill m

I too have been wearing the full wrap style of chaps from Labonville. Been using them from about 1988. Tried some others over the years but keep going back to the Labonville brand.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

BradMarks

Like everything, not all chain saw chaps are made equally, either with materials or layers of material, and therefore do a varying job of stopping the running chain when neccesary. Think ballistic nylon (old heavy chaps and some cheap new ones) vs. Kevlar materials. Good chaps have Kevlar.  It is one thing to "nick" your chaps and another to fall into a running chain, where the best protection is worth any price you paid (good footwear a preventative must).   Chaps that have been cut absolutely should be replaced, as they will not perform the "second time" in the same place.  The debate of full wrap chaps (backside leg calf protection) or regular chaps is a matter of choice as to level of safety, same as materials is a choice.  The Labonville brand works well because they are reversible if one were to "nick" the front side. Left leg becomes the right when reversed. Only drawback is the gas/oil side would then be up against your jeans.  I've used alot of chaps and cut a few but never my leg.  20+ years in the brush, now selling forestry supplies including the mentioned brand.

thecfarm

BradMarks,welcome to the forum.
I wear the Labonville ones,there is a store 20 miniutes from me,that helps. When I buy the next pair I will get the next lenght. The ones I have now are a little short.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

I just got a new pair of orange "Work Safe" chaps from Bailey's on 1 May. I wore them every day until the 19th when I came back to The Beach. Not too much warmer, and they also deflect the stickers from the blackberry bushes. Have not used them to stop a chain, and hope I don't ever. I would buy another pair.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

JDeere

I have been wearing the Labonville chaps for 25 years. If they are good enough for Presidents Ronald Reagan and George Bush they are good enough for me. There is also a pair on display in the Smithsonian Institute.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

timberlinetree

The husky chaps that tsc sells don't protect the most important part according to my wife. ;D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

VT_Forestry

I run the Labonville full wraps.  Are they hot in the summertime?  Yup.  But they are a quality product at a great price that I will throw on no matter what the temperature outside.  I likes my legs  :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

terrifictimbersllc

I got the Labonville full wrap xtreme competition chaps from Bailey's, because it looked to me like they had the most Kevlar.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=W850CKP&catID=

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks everybody.
I was leanin g toward the labonville before posting.
Going to Bailey's as soon as I sign off.
Pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

gspren

I bought the Labonville chaps and a Oregon helmet from Baileys last fall and so far the chaps have saved me from some briars and just 2 days ago a springy branch knocked the helmet crooked, while neither would be life threatening they both probably saved a little blood.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

240b

labonville kevlar last 20+ years, pant inserts, can't stand the chap straps catching on slash.

Forrest277

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on May 22, 2013, 07:20:51 AM
I got the Labonville full wrap xtreme competition chaps from Bailey's, because it looked to me like they had the most Kevlar.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=W850CKP&catID=

those look tough, but are not very long.... personally I have a pair of full lenght Stihl's, they are not a great color, but they cover everything down to my boots ...
Love my Husky ...

beenthere

Quotethose look tough, but are not very long....

Forrest277
The order form says to measure from the belt to the shoe, and order them that long.
So the "look" in the pic isn't the length.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terrifictimbersllc

Mine are XL and 40" overall length, I'm over 6' and they come down to the top of my foot. There's a 2XL that's 44" long.  The photo is sort of squashed. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

petefrom bearswamp

My son and i are average height so ordered the regular length.
The huskys were too long for us and stuck out almost over the shoes.
Because of this we had to be very careful walking thru slash etc.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!