iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Love your mill? Do you practice FIRE PREVENTION?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 29, 2012, 05:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

We have an outfit that comes out and services ours. Once you buy them, it doesn't cost much to have them serviced. And when you have a volunteer fire chief as a lead sawyer, its kind of nice.

True story here. Back in my days running a grain elevator, a lot of the farm trucks were old and not very safe. I looked up to see one on fire. I grabbed an extinguisher from the mill, tossed it on the front seat, and charged off to get to the truck. I hit the brakes somewhere on the way, and the extinguisher rolled off the seat, the pin broke and set off the whole extinguisher inside the pickup cab, windows rolled up. It was the powder form.

Don't do that.

rmack

Quote from: Magicman on June 30, 2012, 09:27:50 PM
One of the hottest fires that I have ever seen was a hydraulic fire.   smiley_devil_trident
[/WI]

I worked sawmill construction for about 10 years. Much of what we did involved working in existing mills. Sawdust, as in cyclones etc would blow up, whereas hydraulic oil and sawdust mix could easily take out a mill if it got a 5 minute head start.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

hardtailjohn

That helps me make up my mind for sure. I have a good chance to set my mill near my water line and was going back and forth on wether I wanted a frost free hydrant right near the mill.... It's getting one for sure now.
The great info on this site never ceases to impress me!
Thanks!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

SPD748

Quote from: submarinesailor on June 30, 2012, 10:14:07 PM
Been there, done that on a 3,000 hydraulic system on a submarine.  Talk about smoke with no place to go.  Thank god we had face suckers (pressure feed full face mask).  We were real lucky it didn't blow up kin our faces.

Bruce

A family friend retired as a Master Chief about 5 years ago. He was on submarines for most of his 30 years in the Navy. I've heard many a story about fires on subs. As one can imagine, none were good. Thank you for your service Bruce!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Banjo picker

I am a little better than I use to be...Like to have burnt down the shed about two weeks before the mill was delivered...No more hay any where near the mill shed...We were gone over the weekend...I cleaned up and blew the saw dust off the concrete before we left...too close to the 4th of July ...I am a long way from the nearest neighbor, but I would hate to catch the remains of one of those big rockets under my mill....Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Sixacresand

I keep a water hose close by my mill.  And remember to let these engines (especially gas engines) cool off before refueling. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Sixacresand on July 01, 2012, 09:57:24 PM
I keep a water hose close by my mill.  And remember to let these engines (especially gas engines) cool off before refueling.

This is why I like being able to unhook the tank from my WM and take it outside and refill it. No fumes around the HOT engine.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!