iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuzzy cuts

Started by JamieK, June 25, 2021, 09:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieK

Hey guys, I'm milling pine 2x4s on the Lucas mill and am getting very fuzzy cuts. I understand that these are rough cut but still, these things look bad. I changed to a new blade withe slightly improved results but after 5 cuts at was back. Im using additives to the water and still fuzzy. Is this just normal for the Lucas or am i missing something.?

Wood-Mizer LT70 full line, BMS250, BMT100, Moffet M5,Nyle L200M, Lucas mill model 7 with slabbing attachment and planer attachment, Logosol PH360, 2017 Ford F450 Platinum

alan gage

Softer wood seems to give fuzzier cuts on my bandsaw.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

WV Sawmiller

I'm getting the same look on my spruce.

And I'm using 4 degree DH blades if the hook angle has anything to do with it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Spruce always fizzes the drier the wood the worse it does it.
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

Mine had not been on the ground but 2 days.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

JamieK

Hey guys, thanks for your input. So far the only thing that helped was pulling the blade through the cut faster. When using my LT70 I have absolutely no issues like this when using dish detergent in the water.
Wood-Mizer LT70 full line, BMS250, BMT100, Moffet M5,Nyle L200M, Lucas mill model 7 with slabbing attachment and planer attachment, Logosol PH360, 2017 Ford F450 Platinum

maple flats

Re-sharpen the blade and then try more water, those tended to help on my Peterson when I sawed pine. However it was never like the results with hardwoods.
For me I found poplar worse than pine in the fuzz department.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!