iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

nice pine log.....

Started by JamieT, July 29, 2014, 01:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieT

Picked up this sweet pine the other day. 24 inches wide, guy limbed it out and loaded my trailer. Got 2 8ft logs that are 24x24x8 before it started to taper, and even with the taper still got a bunch of nice straight logs! Best part....it was FREE!! 8)
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

JamieT

flipping this bad boy proved to be difficult  2 hooks and the tractor,got it turned!
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

Magicman

Those straight no taper Pine logs are what sawing dreams are made of.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JamieT

yes sir magicman! These are what i enjoy sawing. I enjoy all of em, but the bigger the better if you ask me!! I had to take the stops off to trim it down. Also bent a stop turning it! Ive been wanting to beef up the stops anyways, now i have a reason to lol!

thecfarm

Those bigs one do turn hard on our manual mills.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

That's a big one for sure!  makes for lots of flipping and edging as well.  but well worth the effort at the end of the day.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I love those big'uns.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

That Woodland sure looks gooooooood cutten that there big ol log 8) 8) 8)
and free is frosting on the cake
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

francismilker

I'm not in pine log country but have recently been given some "nuisance" trees that folks planted 30 years ago and wanted them removed.  They're 20+ inches in diameter and they're stacked by the mill awaiting my leg to heal from a 4th July injury. (atv stupidity!)

Problem is, I don't really know how to cut them.  I'm an ERC miller.  I cut some pine 2x4's last year and was mighty proud of myself.  They could ALL pass for a longbow now after being carefully stacked to dry.  Not sure if I cut them wrong or dried them wrong but I don't want to waste several hundred bdft of potentially good cabin framing lumber by cutting the logs improperly. 

Lots of learning to do for me.  ;D
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Magicman

It sounds like you split the pith which will guarantee crooked lumber.   :-\

5quarter

Most of the Pine I cut would be considered junk pine by those in pine country. Knots over an inch will warp a 2x4. I saw all my pine in the largest dimensions that the log will give me. I have about 20 2x16" drying right now, not that I need 2x16s,  but I will resaw them into whatever dimensions I need when I need them. I also saw all my dimension lumber at a full 9/4. once dry, I can resaw them and they are dead straight and stay that way. Also, I will often leave a 5x5 in the center of really junky logs. after a year or two, I can resaw them to full 4x4 and they stay put.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

BCsaw

Nice log there Jamie. You mentioned that you were going to "beef" up the stops. Without seeing the stops or how they are incorporated into the mill, you might take a long look at their attachment point. Sometimes strengthening one item can cause the extra stress or abuse to be transferred to other components. The ole chain reaction. The stops may be weaker for a reason. Just my 2 cents! Take care and happy sawing!! ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Magicman

Quote from: 5quarter on July 29, 2014, 11:23:02 PMbut I will resaw them into whatever dimensions I need when I need them. I also saw all my dimension lumber at a full 9/4. once dry, I can resaw them 
Thankfully with mature SYP, I can saw the dimension that I need and it will stay that way.

I oversize only to allow for shrinkage.  Properly stickered and they will stay straight.   :)

WDH

MM,

Do you saw framing pine at 1 5/8"? 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JamieT

BCsaw, the actual bar that does the "stopping" is fine. Its the holder that needs beefed up.  I love sawing pine, knotty or not if you take your time and saw it right its really nice. Stacked and stickered ive had little problems with it. Pine and erc are what i cut the most of.

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on July 30, 2014, 07:38:08 AM
MM,  Do you saw framing pine at 1 5/8"?   
Actually I saw framing lumber at 1 9/16".  The 2X4's are 3 5/8",  the 2X6's are 5 5/8, but 2X12's are sawed at 11½" and will shrink to 11¼".  I saw very few 2X8's and 2X10's but they are adjusted accordingly.

The only thing is that beetle/lightning killed Pines usually have partially dried by the time that I usually saw them and will not shrink to the degree that fresh felled Pines shrink.  Even then, there is never over 1/8" difference between them after drying and caused no building issues.

On my Cabin Addition build, I had an assortment of logs from many different sources.  Lumber thickness and width was never an issue or even a thought.

francismilker

Magic, as I've said many times,  I'm a novice. Could you explain "splitting the pith" please?  Thanks, Jamie
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Ianab

Quote from: francismilker on July 30, 2014, 11:41:09 PM
Magic, as I've said many times,  I'm a novice. Could you explain "splitting the pith" please?  Thanks, Jamie

If you end up  with the pith (centre) of the log on the edge of a board, it's likely to warp because of the juvenile wood around the pith. This shrinks a bit as the board dries, while normal wood doesn't. So a board like that is likely to warp. If you can keep the pith completely in one board or post, it's can stay stable, or at least you only get one reject board.

With some species that wood a couple of inches around the pith is just too unstable and is 100% going to split and warp as the board dries. May as well just cut that out and throw it on the firewood pile at the beginning. Other species are better behaved and you can get a usable (if low grade) board.

You can see on Magicman's picture above that he's tried to position the pith so that it's not on the edge of 4 different boards. This will result in more stable boards.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Francis,

Another way to think about it.  Say you wanted 2x6 material.  Say that you had a 12" square cant with the pith centered in the middle.  You would think that the most efficient thing to do would be to split the 12" cant into two equal 6" cants, and saw the 2x6's from those.  You would split the 12" cant in the middle right through the pith.  On each board from each 6" cant, one side would contain the juvenile wood around the pith and the pith itself.  The other side of each board would be mature wood.  When drying, the mature wood will not shrink along the length, only across the width.  The juvenile wood at the pith, however, will shrink just a bit along the length as well as across the width, and it will shrink more across the width than the mature wood will.  This sets up some bad stress, causing the board to dry in a "C" shaped side-bend, and the more shrinkage across the width on one side versus the other will cause the board to twist and warp.

Always better to center the pith in a board, beam, or post. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Francis, Look at my Reply#12 above and you will see that the pith is not split, but rather it is fairly well centered within the center stack of 2X4's.

Taking WDH's example above a bit further, remove boards from each side of his 12" cant until you reach your target of a 6X12 cant with the pith centered.  Then saw this cant through to get your 2X6's.  Also, the boards that you removed from the sides of the 12" cant can safely be split into two 2X6's each.  Since they were on the outside and away from the pith, they will behave nicely.

Deese

Here is another example of not splitting the pith.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Thank You Sponsors!