iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for an electric mill

Started by WoodenHead, August 18, 2011, 11:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

I'm new to this forum, but I have been watching for some time from the sideline ;)
Really liking it.

I'm looking at purchasing a new or a used electric sawmill (in good condition) that ideally has at least some hydraulic features.  At this point I can't afford the higher end electric mills.  In the used market, the larger mills seem to be very well used.

I started by looking at the LT15E10 and visited someone who owns two of them.  Nice machines, but a little bit too manual I think.  I investigated a TK1220 10HP electric, but this seems to be very similar to the LT15.  Timber King did alert me to a 10HP electric option they are making available for the TK1400 that has some hydraulic features.  But after reading some of the posts on the forum it would seem that the manual log turner might not handle a 24"-30" pine log so well.  I can remedy that by working with smaller logs, but I'm getting the impression that the manual log turner is not the most ideal part of this machine.  (Perhaps someone can correct me on that ;)

Finally I also looked at Norwood's MK34.  The 10HP electric isn't out yet, but is supposedly coming soon.  In addition, they have also advertised that hydraulic options including log turning capabilities will be available as upgrades.  I appreciate Norwood's philosophy that upgrades can be added in the future as needs may grow or change.  WM and TK are much more rigid in their options which are nicely designed to push you up the ladder to buy more mill, but that's marketing.   :)

So I'm attracted to the idea that I might be able to upgrade to hydraulics at some point in time with the electric MK34.  The only concern that I have with the MK34 is that it is relatively new and from some of the posts that I have read on this forum, the feedback is not necessarily positive.  WM and TK I am comfortable with, but I'm not as sure about the durability and accuracy of the Norwood mills.  I'm interested in doing some work for myself with the mill, but also providing wood products for others (not large volume though at this point in time).  Is the MK34 a suitable mill for non-personal use?

Any thoughts?

paul case

i dunno about electric sawmills but i can say Welcome  to the forestry forum.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

red oaks lumber

welcome to the forum, why are you wanting to go electric? that will rule out doing any mobile sawing. my .2 worth
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WoodenHead

Thanks for the welcome.

My interest in an electric mill stems from the fact that I'm a solar dealer/installer.  Our specialty is ground mounted solar installations (primarily of custom welded steel and in the future a mix of wood and steel ;)  I plan on indirectly powering my mill at least in part if not entirely with solar electricity.  And it is very do-able.

From a practical point of view electric motors require a lot less maintenance and generally last longer.  They also have better torqure characteristics even in comparison to diesels.  At least that's my thought on it.  But it sure does make portable milling a bit more challenging  :)

Around here if I want to compete in the portable milling business, I would need a super hydraulic WM or equivalent to be able to charge $55/hr.  Actually many are charging $40-45/hr with their hydraulic mills.  There are a few guys around who are charging $30/hr with their manual or semi manual mills.  At one time there were many offering their services, now there are a few.  It seems that those who are hanging on and in a couple rare cases thriving are those who have stationary mills.  But a good logging friend tells me that demand for custom portable services seems to be picking up a bit.

bandmiller2

Welcome Newbee, what are you going to use as a handle when you've been around here for a wile?? Electric motors make alot of sence on a mill and are a joy to work around.If your a hands on type there are alot of log handling hydraulc devices you can make.Might take an acre of solar cells to run a mill.Question, can solar produce three phase I've never heard anything about it.The largest single phase motor thats commonly available is 10 hp which will do the job as electric motors punch well above their weight class.Several of our members modify single to three phase and use larger motors. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ianab

Have you considered a Swing Blade mill? Peterson makes them with an electric option.

The hydraulic log handling is then not an issue as you basically don't move the log as you saw. Would give you the production of an expensive hydraulic mill, but the simplicity of a manual mill.

Electric certainly has advantages in a fixed location, but portable is a bit more problematic.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WoodenHead

I figure newbee will last for a while as handle because there is much to learn!

Solar can produce three phase power, but you have to have a three phase connection for that to work.  I have three phase service available, but if I can I would like to stick to single phase service (because of all the funny utility rules around here).  

It would take a quite a few solar panels to power a mill, but not an acre's worth  :)  I would generate solar energy to reduce my electricity bill. This means that if the mill is not running I'm still generating and feeding back to the grid.  If the mill is running, the solar may be supplying at least some of the electricity, the remainder comes from the utility company.

In terms of tinkering, I'm open to that.  The TK1400 seems like a mill that wouldn't take much to add a hydraulic log turner for example.  That is one feature I would really like.  I hope to see a TK1400 in action in a week or so.  Would modifications void the warranty of a new mill?

Does anyone have experience with the MX34 from Norwood?  I saw the video and was concerned about how sloppy the log stops looked.  I can't quite see how you can ensure a square cut with that much play.  Otherwise it looks alright.  I would like to hear what others have to say.  I'm not worried about the swiss-cheese frame.  That could always be beefed up a bit ;)

I haven't been considering swing mills.  Thanks for the suggestion Ian.

bandmiller2

Newb,most co's frown upon added devices under warranty,but their folks just like us and thats how their mills evolved.Just make any device to bolt on.I built my mill and use a two plain clamp/turner in out up down, hydraulic pump is driven with a 1 1/2 hp motor switched on when needed.That device turns and is all I use to clamp.I don't use a hyd log loader just two heavy duty oak sawhorses same hight as the mill always had loader to load logs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

saltydogs

Im just about finished with the install of my Woodmizer lt15e10 3 phase. Ill post my thoughts as soon as i finish wiring and can give it a go.
Ill primarily be resawing with the RS2.
New to the forum and jazzed about my WM.
Epilog Helix 60 watt laser. raster engraving and vector cutting
Legacy Explorer CNC 2d/3d raster carving and vector cutting
Woodmizer LT15E10L sawmill w/ RS2 resaw attachment and power feed.
State of the art wood working shop!!!  Saltydog Woodworks @ fb

paul case

Well looking back in this thread I need to add a statement.

''I do know a bit about electric sawmills''.

Welcome to the forum, saltydogs.

You may want to start a new topic to intro yourself. That way we get your handle on the front page for a little longer.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!