iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flea-Market Find

Started by FayettesFinest, September 07, 2015, 11:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FayettesFinest

I picked up a Partner 500 at a flea market today. Haven't really been able to find much info on it. I've heard good things about Partner/Pioneer saws, but not specifically the 500s, so any info would be greatly appreciated. The guy I got it from didn't know much about it. I've only got $20 into it, so worst case scenario I can tear it apart and sell parts on eBay
A handful of junk saws and a junk F250

sablatnic

It is a very decent saw, actually a Partner 5000 with a less powerful cylinder. When Husqvarna made their Husqvarna 50 they used the Partner 500 cylinder for it. (The Hq 50 can be made into a VERY potent saw with a 5000+ cylinder)!  ;D
If it has run for MANY hours, you should look after the crankshaft seals, 5052757-19, but that is about it.
20$, you lucky!!! 8)

FayettesFinest

It doesnt look beat or worn out. Haven't investigated it much, though. It looks overly dirty like it's been sitting for some time

sablatnic

How old is it - is it with black or with yellow body? They changed from black to yellow around 1985.

FayettesFinest

It's got a yellow top cover, everything else is black. Just assuming from all the compatible parts, does this use a small mount Husky bar?

sablatnic

Yes, it has the small husqvarna mount, so uses same bar as the smaller professional husqvarnas.
Black - it is 30 - 35 years old then. Does it run?
When ordering parts, just say that it is for a Partner 5000, as everything is the same, except the cylinder / piston.

Al_Smith

FWIW that series of saws are the hottest runners in the 3 cubic inch class of race saws .With a little massaging  they really scoot .Darned good little firewood cutters too with nothing done to them .Nice find

FayettesFinest

Well, it runs! A guy I work with played with it a little bit and got it to fire. Only thing we've found wrong is that the On/Off button doesn't work....I'm not so much worried about that. I know that if it didn't run, I could easily flip it for parts and make some money off it, but I'm happy that I don't have to do that!

sablatnic

Congratulations on your saw! The stop button - probably just a broken wire.

Black bottom 500 - does the oiler function? The very first of them had a weak pin in the oil pump, which had to be replaced. (The pin, not the pump). Haven't changed any myself, it was all done before my time.

FayettesFinest

Yeah, it oils. I took the bar and covers off and had it idling and she left a nice puddle of oil on my uncles garage floor lol

sablatnic

:-)
If you ever need to repair the oil pump, you can lock the engine for unscrewing the clutch by inserting a m4 allen key (5/32 hex key) into a hole around 10 o'clock from the clutch. The key goes right through the saw and into a hole in the flywheel, to lock it.

FayettesFinest

Awesome! I'll remember that! It cuts! Granted the b/c aren't as good as I expected. When I go to buy one, should I keep the 16" or go with an 18"? I'm not a logger by any means, just cut and sell a lot of firewood. It's going to be the partner (oh, the irony!) to my husky 562 with a 24" b/c. The guy that cuts with me runs a Stihl 032 with a 16" b/c. Was thinking about going for the 18" as a happy medium, but am also thinking about another 16" since the oilers are less than spectacular

sablatnic

I believe 18" to be a little long - they were sold with 13" or 15", not sure which, but the 5000 were sold with 13".

With a bit of luck the oiler is adjustable on your saw. Look inside of the bar, a steel plate with a weird hole in it, and what looks like a pan headed screw inside. Looks almost like another chain adjuster, and is in the right place too. You can turn the "screw" a few degrees with a screw driver to reduce or increase the oil flow. Be gentle, please!!

FayettesFinest

Quote from: sablatnic on September 11, 2015, 04:54:17 PM
I believe 18" to be a little long - they were sold with 13" or 15", not sure which, but the 5000 were sold with 13".

With a bit of luck the oiler is adjustable on your saw. Look inside of the bar, a steel plate with a weird hole in it, and what looks like a pan headed screw inside. Looks almost like another chain adjuster, and is in the right place too. You can turn the "screw" a few degrees with a screw driver to reduce or increase the oil flow. Be gentle, please!!

It seems to do alright as-is so I wont try to adjust anything since the oilers seem to be a bit "sensitive." Thanks for all the help and info. Finding anything on it hasn't exactly been easy. Here this weekend, I'll get some pictures of it in action.

Another thing, we tweaked the carb a little bit to get it to start. It starts easy and seems like it has good power, but smokes a little on the "high-side." Since it's sat for a while and the carb is probably a bit gummy, should I let it go until the carb cleans itself out and then tune it? Or is it fine as is and adjust oil/gas ratio?

Thank You Sponsors!