iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler remote throttle

Started by Doug Wis, November 24, 2011, 10:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Wis

Hi all. This is my first post here so we'll see how it turns out.I'm  a farmer with some timber land and i feel naked if i don't have a few lumber piles around. Have moved from hiring a homemade portable circle mill powered by a 440 chrysler, to a neighbor with a WM LT 30 to buying my own small band mill [Keenerbuilt] and now am considering an all hyd band mill.Right now  the TK 1600 is at the top of my list.Reading other posts here I have seen the advice given  that a remote throttle is agood addition to this unit. Studying how this unit operates , I can see that it would be quite benificial. How do they work, whats the cost and where do you get one? The TK salesman I talked to basicly gave me a blank stare over the phone . Thanks for any info.
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

Magicman

Welcome Doug to the Forestry Forum.  There are many TK owners here that can give you the proper advice.  I'm sure that you will be well pleased with your sawmill choice.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Paper Maker

I run a TimberKing B-20. With the price of gas I decided to build a remote throttle myself. It may look a little complicated but it was fairly easy to build once I put my mind to it.

Several people here have put remote throttle on their mill. I think that I may be the only one to do it this way. When I want to go to idle I force the governor back to idle. So far it has worked very well. 

This is part of the bracket I made from some old scrap metal.

I have it set up where I can go to idle with a toggle switch or a remote. The remote came out of a old wheel chair lift I had. I have relays in the box so that the toggle switch and the remote can't contradict each other. The linear actuator is about the only thing I had to buy. The rest of the stuff I had just laying around for the most part.

toolman18

Papermaker, when you say remote are you talking wireless or are you going thru your cord reel?  I like the linear acutator idea, I'm thinking about using one to adjust my throat opening.

gandrimp

How would a push/pull solinoid work for you? Like this http://www.murcal.com/Catalog/Rack-Pullers/RP2309B-Push-Pull-Solenoid  Theres different styles. This is just the first one I came across. Depending on how the things made it should be full throttle or idle with the flip of a switch.
LM2000

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Doug.....come on in and grab a seat! The Forums a good place to be on those days when its too cold to saw!  fire_smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Paper Maker

Toolman18 I have it set up wireless and a local switch. I have a key fob type wireless remote at the operators end. There is also a local switch at the motor just for convenience or whatever the reason may be. I also have them set up so that they can't contradict each other. Why they would ever get pushed at the same time is beyond me. But one thing is for sure if it can't happen it will happen. As far as the small key fob type remote I'm building one now that will be bigger so that it will be easer pushed with gloves on. I am also working on a remote system for the canopy's up and down motion. I wan't to be able to get rid of the wire reel. But I'll also have fixed so that if something happens to the remote I will be able to go right back like it was. The other day went ahead and put a trailer lights conector on the reel just for this reason.

sgschwend

If you have an eye on a particular mill, you could get the engine model number and contact the engine folks. 

I found the remote option for mine using the engine manufactures web page and then just ordered it.  I suppose I could have thought about it ahead of time and just added the requirement to my mill order, that might have worked too.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

ladylake

I'd think mills with a stationery operator post should make a remote thottle stanard equipment, sure wound never operate a mill without it after using it for 3 years now.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

vfauto

Quote from: Paper Maker on November 28, 2011, 07:28:33 PM
     Toolman18 I have it set up wireless and a local switch. I have a key fob type wireless remote at the operators end. There is also a local switch at the motor just for convenience or whatever the reason may be. I also have them set up so that they can't contradict each other. Why they would ever get pushed at the same time is beyond me. But one thing is for sure if it can't happen it will happen. As far as the small key fob type remote I'm building one now that will be bigger so that it will be easer pushed with gloves on. I am also working on a remote system for the canopy's up and down motion. I wan't to be able to get rid of the wire reel. But I'll also have fixed so that if something happens to the remote I will be able to go right back like it was. The other day went ahead and put a trailer lights conector on the reel just for this reason.
Can you provide more info and pictures please?
Thanks
Frank
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Thank You Sponsors!