iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Governor for home built power unit

Started by smwwoody, September 27, 2002, 02:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

well any good ideas on where to buy or how to build a governor for a home built power unit one is diesel and the other is gas
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

ADfields

Well your diesel has one in it or at least I never saw one that did not.   Moste of them can be turned down and set at the RPM you want.   Now I had a Ford 300-6 that I used to power a tractor and I used a tin can over the exoust pipe with a screen door spring down to the carb.   Now when the thing was runing it would try to blow the can off the pipe and the force of that would close the buterfly in the carb and slow it down and if it lugs down less exoust pushing on the can lets the buterfly open up.   Take a 2nd spring and hook it to a lever so it pulls the buterfly opened and you can change the tenchion on it to change the governed speed you want.   I came up with this after long hours of thinking and knowing how a Brigs fan governor works.   If you watch a Brigs governor at work you will see just what I am saying onley you use the exoust not a fan.   Now if you dont like this made with junk kind my brother inlaw bilds one for a sprayer rig place that bolts to a forck lift moter thay use in the spray rig and he now bilds a belt driven verson that will work on aneything with V-belts.   It's a fly ball set up paterned after the one found on a 3406 Cat I think and will out live me and you both!   I think he gets around $250 for them but dont quote me on that.   It's nice to have a brother inlaw with 5 CNC's sometimes.   You can e-mail him at billr@aznetgate.net and I would think he can e-mail you photos of it and all sorts of things.   I would give you the phone but I dont have it with me now.   You would never find a beter man to deal with than him!
Andy

sawmill_john

If you would like to buy a good new governor Mobile Mfg Co. uses a Pierce Universal Governor(#GC-979) the price is $210.00 + shipping.  They are simple and very reliable.  

Mobile Mfg Co    
Troutdale OR
1-503-666-5593

The Pierce Co.
Upland IN
1-800-428-0207

Thank You Sponsors!