iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduction

Started by Hookpilot, August 12, 2014, 09:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookpilot

Well I guess I need to get my feet wet somewhere and I think this is where I will be spending most of my time. I have been reading the FF for several months and have registered so I can start communicating with folks. I live in north Alabama and have been to Yellowhammer U on several occasions; Robert and Martha are great Americans. I am a former Army aviator  avaitor pilot but I am hoping folks won't hold that against me. :D I spent 23 1/2 years in the Army and another 10 years working for the DoD and am looking for something I will really enjoy doing. I think I have found it. I took advantage of the WM summer sale and have made a down payment on an LT50 and hope to take delivery in November. I can't say enough about the help and mentorship I received from YH and Tim Horsley at WM in GA.  I am truly looking forward to working with people like the people on this forum seem to be; trustworthy, straight forward, helpful and God fearing.

I am truly amazed at how helpful you are to each other; what a great group of people to become associated with.

Looking forward to getting the mill and getting started.
WMLT50
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
                 -- John Quincy Adams

red oaks lumber

welcome to the forum hookpilot
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

First, Thank You for your service to our country and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Hookpilot.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Hookpilot,welcome to the forum. What's the plan for the lumber. I want to thank you too for serving our great country.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Hookpilot

Well as far as the plan for the lumber I think one of my first tasks is to build a barn to keep my equipment in. I truly appreciate the tanks for my service; it was a great ride and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I guess it is worth saying I am a second generation sawyer. My grandfather had a mill in north Minnesota back in the 50s I think; it always intrigued me.
WMLT50
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
                 -- John Quincy Adams

SamB

I spent the summer of 69 in Huntsville/ Redstone Arsenal, very nice area then. Welcome to the forum.

pine

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service

Delawhere Jack

Welcome aboard HookPilot. If you can handle the controls of a chopper, learning a mill should be easy. Learning how to approach logs and get the best cuts will be a little more like learning how to deal with winds, up and down drafts and such while piloting a chopper.

Grab your favorite hot or cold beverage and spend a little time regularly searching the forum. You'll be checked out to mill any log in short order.

Piston

Another welcome from up north of you  ;D  Congrats on the new mill, you don't mess around with buying your first mill!  8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

redbeard

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service. What kind of support equipment do you have to help the mill?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

Welcome the Forestry Forum, Hook pilot!

Congratulations on the new mill, a couple of steps up from a lot of us here on the Forum.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
I flew on CH-47s a few time when I was in the Army, too. Lots of great information and knowledge you will find on here.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

rooster 58

I salute you, Hookpilot. Thank you for keeping our great country free ;) The 50 is a great mill, and I'm sure you will enjoy running it 8)

Hookpilot

Thanks for all of the kind words and welcomes. One thing I need to say is if you don't hear from me for a couple days I am not being rude, I work in business development for now and do some traveling. I will get back to folks when I am able.

I have been very blessed and my support equipment for now is a John Deere 5085E so it should handle anything I need to be putting on the mill. :D I have about 160 acres and my father in law another 300 so I have a little timber to be able to work with and learn the trade. I would love to turn this into a little business in the not too distant future.

clww looking forward to telling some 47 lies uh stories with you. There I was  :D :D :D

Gotta go unfortunately got a plane to catch.

Thanks again for all the kind words.
WMLT50
                 -- John Quincy Adams

mad murdock

Welcome hookpilot, sounds like with an LT50 waiting in the "wings" you aren't jus"getting your feet wet"-more like jumping in whole hog 8) congratulations!! I have been in aviation since my older brothers gave me rides in an old CAP L4. The sawdust addiction is just as bad, but at least you get a lot more out of it. Gonna be like Christmas with every log you open up with your mill when you get it going.  Can't wait to see some pics 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sealark37

Hey Hook- You have come to the right place.  You will find the hydraulics on your LT50 much simpler than the systems on the 47.  The bad news is that you are the crew chief.  All failures, fixes, and write-ups will be on you.  As a tip, you will find that sawmilling is basically a material handling problem with a headsaw in the middle.  Let us see your setup as it progresses.  Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: sealark37 on August 13, 2014, 08:53:34 AM
... you will find that sawmilling is basically a material handling problem with a headsaw in the middle.......Clark
Wow, if that doesn't sum it up.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

m wood

sealark37 does paint an accurate picture.  Your service toward freedom is  appreciated here also.  Welcome aboard Hookpilot.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Gadrock

HookPilot thank you for your service to our country and a hearty welcome to the FF.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Texas Ranger

Yep, welcome to the forum, we need more southern folks to off set some of that northern, er, not to say damyankee, presence here.  Ya get a chance, pull up a stump around the camp fire and jaw some.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

pineywoods

Welcome hookpilot. You are right, this is a good place. You will find there are a few airplane nuts on here as well..I just got home from the grand daddy of all flyins, oshkosh..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

slab

welcome aboard hook former USMC and  pilot also  fixed wing-rotorcraft & LTA (hot air balloon)
all the eqipment to run saw mill (loders trucks         trailers  ect,) nicely equiped woodworking shop timber wolf tw-6  but no sawmill yet  (wish list 3665 baker)

Deese

Welcome to THE FORUM  ;D :D ;D and thanks for your service  smiley_clapping
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Piston

Quote from: sealark37 on August 13, 2014, 08:53:34 AM
...  As a tip, you will find that sawmilling is basically a material handling problem with a headsaw in the middle.  Let us see your setup as it progresses.  Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

Clark,
That is a really good way to look at it!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Alligator

Hookpilot, Welcome! Your suppose to state your age :D. You might be a teenager or something? But my math says no. 23.5+10+ at least 18=at least 51.5. Just remember help is close by :)
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Hookpilot

Again folks thank you for the kind words and encouragement. So in full disclosure I was looking at the LT40 Super but the LT50 was actually cheaper during their summer sale.  8) 8) 8) (Thanks Tim Horsley at WM) So I like the crew chief anology as well.
WMLT50
                 -- John Quincy Adams

ljmathias

Son in law is Army National Guard- two tours oversees in construction, although he spent most of his time operating a rifle... go figure.  Anyway, while I was down with heart valve failure and replacement surgery, he learned to operate my LT40 hydraulic in half a day, then proceeded to cut up two logs till he had to go back to work.  You should be fine with your WM, but one word of advise- learn all you can from others first and as you go.  So here's the offer- if you are in the area (Purvis, MS isn't all that far from Huntsville and if you're on the road, you might be passing close on Interstate 59), stop by and practice on my LT40.  Glad to show you what I've managed to put together here so far- 50 acres plus a few barns and such.

Oh, and as to barns, bigger is better.  One thing you'll gather in reading about sawmill sheds and barns here is that you make your best guess on what size you need, then multiply by four.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

YellowHammer

Glad you made it,  Hookpilot 8) and welcome.

One day this guy Hookpilot comes up to me and says, this sawing looks like fun, I want to learn.  So we chat for a little while and it seems he has an eye for this kind of thing, (I didn't know he was pilot then) so a few days later, on a rare laid back day when I wasn't pushed for time, we fire up the saw, and I show him a few things.  After a little while, I hand over the controls and before long he is sawing logs, listening to me, talking to himself, and moving all the little knobs and levers with a big ol smile on his face, ear to ear. 

We finished that day up, no problems, (and no crashes, thankfully) and a little while later he wants to come back and "learn" some more, and this time I had a nice whack of logs and was about to put the pedal to the metal, and said something like, "Uh, I'm not sure you want to, because we're fixing to SAW..."  Hookpilot didn't miss a beat, assumed the role as off bearer on that nice, extra hot summer day, and I did my best to keep the saw head flying and let the big diesel eat while keeping him and my other off bearer buried in boards. 
We finished a little while later, and I took this picture of Hookpilot in front of the stacks he helped saw.  A good day by all accounts. 

I'm looking forward to his membership and contributions on the Forum with his new LT-50.  Got to find a good place on the saw to paint some nose art, it's only fitting for a pilot.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Hookpilot

Thanks to all of you who have served and or have family members serving. Lj part of how I got to the size mill I am getting is wanting to work this into a business and as I spoke with YH and others one of the constant messages was buy all the engine you can afford, well i dont know if I can afford it or not but i figure more HP will never hurt. I am planning on starting with a 40x60 barn when I get things going.

YH when I was reading some of the old threads and saw where someone said they had been to YH University I just laughed, it could not be more true. Thanks for the time you have already put into me and my learning.

Clark - I get the logistics thing. I am collecting layouts for different mills and will adjust from there.

Talk to you all later.
WMLT50
                 -- John Quincy Adams

scsmith42

Hookpilot, welcome to the sawdust pile!  You're in a great part of the country in terms of support from fellow millers. 

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!