iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

...going WIDE w WM?

Started by seaview, February 28, 2017, 01:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaview

Anyone purchased a new WIDE Wood Mizer model yet?? How does it preform? and what were your not so obvious reasons for choosing the WIDE model? Do you see any drawbacks to the design and why would you not upgrade- with this not too heavy price difference?
This from WM--- The wide saw head increases the maximum width of cut from 28" on the standard models to 34" on the wide head models.
Looks like yet another very good reason to leave the LT35HD in the dust and step up to the LT40HD plate! Very tempting indeed... 'specialty milling services doing 34" wide, live edge slabs! cut on our 100% biodegradable Biodiesel powered Wood Mizer portable saw mill!' YO to ya brother! Artisans and craftspeople line up to the left... carpenters and cabinet makers on the right!

Kbeitz

I bet the blade price is higher.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

seaview

OK- there's one thing that I did not consider; thank you- will check the specs on these custom bands and find out what the cost difference is. Of course in Canada, the price will be one and a half again the US price- and now maybe more if certain politicians have their way...

Magicman

I haven't needed a wider sawmill since..........yesterday. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Blade cost would be $ 28.00 increase than a 158" blade per box of 15 blades or $ 1.87 per blade.  1 1/4" wide .045 thick 171" length.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

bandmiller2

Sounds like a good idea, bands would only be about 12" longer. I wonder if the rest of the mill will be beefed up any as it will be handling a lot more weight. Heavier support equipment will be needed. My homebuilt will do up to an honest 30" but I try to avoid that big stuff. As important as width of cut is how high the saw head will go, never make a cut at max height leave yourself a 1/2" or so for gigback. No matter how large the mill is you will always find a log too big or too heavy. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ga Mtn Man

The max log size rating of 36" hasn't changed.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

TKehl

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 28, 2017, 07:38:08 AM
No matter how large the mill is you will always find a log too big or too heavy. Frank C.

Yup.  Never thought I'd run into something in my area bigger than 4' to slab.  Wrong!
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

JRWoodchuck

Haven't heard the term 'GIGBACK'. What does it mean?
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

terrifictimbersllc

Slang for bringing the head back to the front of the log, as in getting ready for the next cut.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jim_Rogers

Saw down, gigback.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

DGK

You may want to query Wood-mizer about the the minimum log size that the debarker will be effective on.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

MartyParsons

QuoteYou may want to query Wood-mizer about the the minimum log size that the debarker will be effective on.

Yes WM is working on this also. Should be available very soon.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

4x4American

The biggest problem I see with these new wide models is that I don't have one lol
Boy, back in my day..

Brucer

I believe the 34" refers to the distance between blade guide rollers. I could be wrong, but on my 2006 mill the 28" is between blade guides -- the practical cutting width is 4" less. To get the extra width you have to shift the log past the normal side stop position.

I suspect Marty's pricing is in $US. Not only do the blades cost more, you will have more teeth to sharpen.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

4x4American

Quote from: Brucer on March 01, 2017, 10:16:28 PM
Not only do the blades cost more, you will have more teeth to sharpen.

What a debbie downer!  Didn't even mention all the women that are gonna be flocking to the mill....
Boy, back in my day..

Andries

Oh c'mon DUG.
I heard that the gals were already flocking to your regulation sized toothy grin . . .
;D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!