iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Modification,Thank you Yellowhammer

Started by Gere Flewelling, May 28, 2020, 08:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gere Flewelling

I have recently completed building a claw type log turner for my Cook's MP-32 mill.  I would like to say I came up with it  myself, but that would be less than honest.  I used images that Yellowhammer posted of a turner he fabricated years ago on a Woodmizer mill that he had.  When I first saw his creation, I decided to give it a try.  I studied his photos for a long time to get the concept.  One thing the photos didn't have was dimensions.  It took me a while to figure out actual dimensions and geometry related to the space I had to work with.  This explains the numerous adjustment holes drilled here and there.  Once I determined the proper alignment holes, I don't think I will need to make many adjustments in the future.  I found a 12v. winch that has a remote control allowing me to mount the winch at the forward end of the mill and keep it out of harms way.  I can control it from anywhere near the mill.  I used it last weekend on some large ash logs.  Once I figured out the procedure, I was able to saw several logs without using my cant hook.  A couple were 23" in diameter.  One log was large enough that I had to use the cable log turner that came on the mill to make the first turn.  Once a slab was cut off, I was able to do the rest of the turning with the new device.  My original reason for building this claw type turner was to keep from having to walk to the other side of the mill to operate the original cable log roller.  Not that it doesn't work well, it just takes time to keep circling the mill.  I added another battery to power this new winch.  I am pretty sure that the occasional recharge of the battery will allow me all day log turning without low battery issues.  I just wanted to say thank you to Yellowhammer for sharing his amazing design skills with us and the old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" provided me with the help I needed to make his design work on a Cooks mill.  I have added a few photos of the device.  This is my first attempt at posing photos.  Hopefully they help with my description.

Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Crusarius

your battery should last a very long time without charging. I have a HF 3500 lb winch on my UTV that I use to raise and lower my plow. The charging system on the UTV is sub par. Anytime I tried to connect the winch to the charging system it would kill the battery killing the EFI. I would get about 8 lifts of the plow out of it.

In desperation I threw a deep cycle battery under the seat and connected the winch direct to that battery. I can typically go anywhere from 1-3 months without charging depending on how much snow I have to deal with.

The battery is standalone and not connected to the charging system at all. Works great for me. When it gets low I just throw the smart charger on it and let it go.

YellowHammer

It makes my heart proud to see that it works so well for you, and I thank you for acknowledging me.  It's a great feeling to have someone benefit from a design of mine, although, as you say, there are no measured drawings, so you had to do quite a bit of brain work yourself.  So very much Congraulations 8) to you, sir.  That is a job well done!

I remember it well, and it was a true back saver, and I see that you did an excellent job on getting the geometry right.  This was one of my favorite builds, because it worked so well.  As you say, as you dial it in, your cant hook will be an almost forgotten tool, and you'll be able to turn some monsters with this, it's got some serious mechanical advantage.  

Congratulations again.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kelLOGg

Nice job, Gere. It's fun to make modifications.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Durf700

my log turner also came from Yellow Hammer's design!  I love it. I have turned 21' 25" diameter hemlock with it with ease.  enjoy it...  I smile every time I turn the log with it.

good job!  looks great! 

Gere Flewelling

I have found another unexpected use for this log turner.  When you roll a log onto the mill, this log turner will actually lift and wedge the log against the squaring arms quite securely.  Enough so that I haven't had to use the log clamps nearly as much.  As The cant gets smaller, it's clamping effect does diminish some, but it is a time saver when starting on a log.  At this point, I think YellowHammers sliding clamp might not be as beneficial on this particular mill.  It is a very clever design though.  I may try my luck at duplicating that design some day.  I certainly don't think I can come up with a better clamping system.  Thanks again YH!
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

YellowHammer

I was going to mention that last night, many times the claw can be used as a clamp because of the cable geometry.  

The big advantage of the two plane is that flips cants without scarring the surface of the cant with the claw, and it allows cant clamping way down low within inches of the bed.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

boardmaker

Gere-That claw turner looks great.  

Robert or anyone who would like to chime in, If you could only have the claw or the 2 plane, which would it be?
I always thought it'd be the 2 plane.  After seeing Jake run his 2 plane last year, I wasn't sure if anyone uses their claw if they have a 2 plane clamp.  Seems the 2 plane can do everything the claw can.

GAB

boardmaker in reply to your question - If you could only have the claw or the 2 plane, which would it be?
I think a lot of it has to do with the experience,  talent, or savvy of the operator.  When attempting to rotate a log 180° I will use both.  I will turn the log 90° with the claw (if you can get more than 90° it is better) and then position the clamp under the log, 
raise it a little and pull the log away from the log stops.  Please note for this to work best the claw has to be above the center of the log.
There are numerous FF members who could teach us all a lot.  Jakes spring shindig is a classic example of where to go to learn a lot in not much time. 
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

terrifictimbersllc

Sometimes one needs both, when the logs get heavy, or if irregular, then one to hold the other turn.  

Also if trying to move something heavy just with the 2 plane clamp, one has to be careful not to force the smaller diameter hydraulic cylinder the wrong way, from the large strong clamp rod, it can get bent. 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!